Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Transmission Problems

Old 07-31-2005 | 10:33 PM

A few weeks after I bought my car my transmission went and I ended up getting it rebuilt. I have a automatic. Now a few months after being rebuilt I am experiencing problems with my transmission. Sometimes when I flaw it my car kicks into neutral while I'm driving. It will stay that way for about 30 seconds and then final buck back into gear. I had a bad experience with this once when I was pulling out into the middle of the road with a car coming towards me and then not being able to go anywhere. Is this normal for automatics? The place that rebuilt it has a 1 year full warranty if anything happens to it. My transmission fluid level is right where it is suppose to be.
Old 07-31-2005 | 11:00 PM

There is definitely something wrong with it man. Take it back to that place and make them redo everything!!!
Old 08-01-2005 | 01:01 AM

question to support the topic.. say, my tranny would go bad... how much would it cost me to get an auto tranny for 4 cyl rd2?

what is the best place to look for it? would it be posible to get a brand new one, not trough the dealer?
Old 08-01-2005 | 02:09 AM

Not quiet on topic, but since you are noob, I'll be nice.

I'd get a tranny from ebay or some junk yard, they are pretty cheap.
Old 08-01-2005 | 10:46 AM

well, sorry, but if i'd open a new topic, i'd be told that similar topics already exist and i'm a noob...so, i don't know then how to use the forum...

sorry for OT.
Old 08-01-2005 | 10:57 PM

QUOTE (H3NDR1X15 @ Aug 1 2005, 04:33 AM)
A few weeks after I bought my car my transmission went and I ended up getting it rebuilt. I have a automatic. Now a few months after being rebuilt I am experiencing problems with my transmission. Sometimes when I flaw it my car kicks into neutral while I'm driving. It will stay that way for about 30 seconds and then final buck back into gear. I had a bad experience with this once when I was pulling out into the middle of the road with a car coming towards me and then not being able to go anywhere. Is this normal for automatics? The place that rebuilt it has a 1 year full warranty if anything happens to it. My transmission fluid level is right where it is suppose to be.

Sounds JUST like my brother's automatic Tib problems...it ended up being the pulse generator or one of the solenoids, can't remember which. Basically it's sensor/computer related, take it to Hyundai and they can do a diagnostic on it.

Makes even more sense considering even though the rebuilt the tranny, 99% chance they reused all the old electronics and sensors.
Old 09-11-2005 | 08:29 PM

Yeah, I think my pulse generator is going bad slowly. Pulse generators are to blame on auto trannies if you have a harsh 1-2 shift, tranny gets stuck in 3rd gear, or shifting in general is jerky.

How much did getting the pulse generator in working order cost? If it's computer related, it can't be that much. I've never heard of a solenoid problem though
Old 09-11-2005 | 09:21 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Swap to a manual and you won't have anymore problems fing02.gif
Old 09-11-2005 | 10:04 PM

Hahaha...Beta I autos suck. They are notorious for breaking down within 30k+ miles. Basically, Mitsu gave Hyundai some sh!tty auto transmissions. What can you expect when Hyundai was trying to grow? If you've got less than 100k mi on your car, Hyundai should be able to replace it for you. If not...then you're pretty much screwed.

I wouldn't really trust autos at junkyards. Best thing to do would be to swap to a manual...there's a DIY somewhere on here. Definitely worth it.

However...if you do want to stick with an auto...there's one place called Level 10 performance, who specialize in beefing up automatic transmissions. But it's up to you.
Old 09-11-2005 | 10:08 PM

If I had the money I would just sell this car and buy a manual. Actualy if I had enough money I would just buy a Celica instead. Doing a tranny swap would be silly in my opinion. To much work to do while at college. I don't even have a garage to do it in. I don't have enough motivation to complete such a big project either.