Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Tranny Problems!

Old 05-02-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK first things first i had the car for about a year now it is a 1998 Tiburon with the 2.0 i4 automatic tranny completely stock(my first car I'm 17). When i first got the car we had a tuneup done for it by a guy that used to work for Hyundai. When we got the car we noticed that there was to much tranny fluid in it.

Well about 3 months or so after we got it the tranny went out got it fixed by a shop for 1900 came with a 1 year warranty well about a couple months later the son of a b**** goes out again, no problem took it back to the shop and he rebuilt the tranny again no questions asked(he said that the TP censor was giving the tranny the wrong times to shift so it f***ed it up). well today i go out to the car this is maybe less then a month of getting it rebuilt i look in the garage there is a puddle of tranny fluid so i moved the car checked underneath the new spot there was another puddle. Well i said this cant be good popped the hood and i c a puddle laying on the tranny it self.

Checked the fluid and it says its over full again(we haven't put tranny fluid in it ourselves)not a big problem cus its still under warranty cept its sat and ill have to wait till Monday to take it in.What I'm getting at here is dose the tranny fluid being over filled have something to do with it f***ing up? and if so wouldn't that be something that the tranny shop would check?

I also got another question too, every since we got the car once and awhile the throttle gets f***ing stuck not the gas pedal but the throttle it self we lubed it up cleaned the throttle body and also sprayed some wd 40 in the breather and still dose it, i think its either the cable or the spring that's bad on it what you guys think?

Also i have noticed after the cars been sitting all night sometimes not all when i start it it will start but idles very low and will die if i do not give it some gas, this normal?

AND NO I HAVE NOT BEEN DOING NUETRAL DROPS!!!!!! IM NOT AN IDIOT just because i know someones gonna ask me that. Well thanks in advance for your help
Old 05-02-2009, 01:44 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Please split your posts into sentences/paragraphs, your post looks like rambling and is hard to read.

I have no idea what could be wrong with the tranny, but from what you are saying, it should still be within the 1 year warranty no? So take it back there and have them fix it..

By the way, $1900 for a rebuild is kinda unnecessary - you can find working transmissions in junkyards for a hell of a lot cheaper than that, you can check car-part.com

For the throttle sticking problem, you can just take off the throttle body and see if it's a bad spring or what, you can replace the whole thing with a used one for cheap (hell I have one sitting around here somewhere)
Old 05-02-2009, 03:59 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

OK, first, use paragraph format and periods instead of commas.

QUOTE (schooley @ May 2 2009, 03:25 PM)
OK first things first. I had the my 1998 Tiburon for a year. It has a 2.0 i4 automatic tranny completely stock. It's my first car and I'm 17. When I first got the car we had a tuneup done by a guy that used to work for Hyundai. When we got the car we noticed that there was to much tranny fluid in it.

Well about 3 months or so after we got it, the tranny went out and we got it fixed by a shop for 1900. It came with a 1 year warranty. A couple of months later the son of a b**** goes out again. No problem, we took it back to the shop and he rebuilt the tranny again no questions asked. He said that the TP sensor was giving the TCU incorrect information so it was shifting at the wrong time.

Well today I go out to the car, maybe less then a month after it was rebuilt. I look in the garage there is a puddle of tranny fluid so I moved the car checked underneath the new spot there was another puddle. I said this cant be good, popped the hood and I see a puddle laying on top of the tranny. I checked the fluid and it says its over full again. We haven't put tranny fluid in it ourselves. It's not a big problem cus its still under warranty. But, its Saturday and I'll have to wait untill Monday to take it in.

I would like to know if the tranny fluid being over filled have something to do with it f***ing up? and if so wouldn't that be something that the tranny shop would check?

I also got another question too, every since we got the car once and awhile the throttle gets stuck. I'm not talking about the gas pedal, but the throttle it self we lubed it up cleaned the throttle body. We also sprayed some wd 40 in the breather and still does it. I think its either the cable or the spring that's bad on it, what you guys think?

Also, I have noticed after the car has been sitting all night, it will start but idles very low and will die if i do not give it some gas, this normal?

AND NO I HAVE NOT BEEN DOING NUETRAL DROPS!!!!!! IM NOT AN IDIOT just because i know someones gonna ask me that. Well thanks in advance for your help

Are you checking your transmission with the vehicle running? You should be.

The first thing to do is clean out your engine bay with some degreaser and a hose to find out where the leak is comming from. Sometimes it's just the axle pops out and the oil starts flowing out of the hole. You can pop the axle back in by hand.

Are you sure it's transmission fluid and not something else? Transmission fluid usually leaks from the bottom of the transmission. The brake fluid is above the transmission. Also engine oil is above the transmission. You said your transmission fluid was full, how could it be leaking?

Don't spray wd40 in the breather.

Use heavy duty silicone lube to try to keep the pully from sticking. It has an acid in it which eats away corrosion first, then lubricates after. You may need a new cable.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'm not even going to bother reading that mess.

Maybe I'll come back and read DTN's later.

Maybe.

Until then, read the site rules, and follow them. I'll be watching.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:31 PM
DTN

Well, I didn't do as good of a job as UrS0NvS in the other thread.... I'ma go back and rewrite it some more. I just separated it into sentances and paragraphs.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:40 PM

QUOTE (DTN @ May 2 2009, 05:59 PM)
OK, first, use paragraph format and periods instead of commas.

Are you checking your transmission with the vehicle running? You should be.

The first thing to do is clean out your engine bay with some degreaser and a hose to find out where the leak is comming from. Sometimes it's just the axle pops out and the oil starts flowing out of the hole. You can pop the axle back in by hand.

Are you sure it's transmission fluid and not something else? Transmission fluid usually leaks from the bottom of the transmission. The brake fluid is above the transmission. Also engine oil is above the transmission. You said your transmission fluid was full, how could it be leaking?

Don't spray wd40 in the breather.

Use heavy duty silicone lube to try to keep the pully from sticking. It has an acid in it which eats away corrosion first, then lubricates after. You may need a new cable.

Yeah 1900 is alot for the dam tranny,guess becuse its an automatic and fwd, should have gotten a manuel alot easyer to fix

Yes i am cheacking it while the engine is running.

and yeah i guess spraying that shit in the breather it made mustard gas or something luckely i was in the drive way and not the garage.

Yes it was transmition fluid the orange/pink stuff and you were talking about something sticking up yes i noticed this gold thing sticking up next to the puddle of the stuff on top the transmition wasnt quite sure if it was already like that tho.

Yeah its leaking all over the place and it is still over full of transmition fluid.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:02 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

there any check engine codes? if so post them up bud
Old 05-03-2009, 10:01 AM
DTN

can you take a picture or something? I don't understand what you're talking about this gold thing. If you're leaking fluid, then the fluid level should be going down.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:32 PM

Yeah over night the tranny fluid went down alot here are some pics of the the gold thing and the fluid on the tranny.

Nope no check engine light.

I circled in white where the tranny fluid is that i saw and red is the gold thing

Old 05-03-2009, 01:04 PM
DTN

ok, your next step should be to spray down the transmission with degreaser, either spray on engine degreaser, or simple green. Then wash it off with water. You've got to find out where the fluid is coming from. This will save your mechanic time if it's not something that you can fix.