Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Torque Converter

Old 05-12-2002, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter

(recently discussed in flame forum)
but! ... I have read about this at the levelten site, and i understood about it when i read it, but then i needed to explain what this was to someone... and i had no flippin idea how to tell them. Can anyone give an explaination of this? and where exactly is it put in the engine? And i was also told the the ones made for hyundai were junk... so.. which one to buy? thx everyone!
Old 05-12-2002, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

http://www.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

That's the best site i've found to show how they work.

Level10 would be one of the formost authorities on autotrannies. They've done work on Hyundai Trannies before, and I would go with their word/reccomendations on the subject. As far as I know, they have not made any desparaging comments/remarks about the Hyundai Autotrannies and torque converters, and the folks who have had Level10 work on their trannies have had nothing but nice things to say about them and the results.

In regards to the person making disparaging remarks about the tranny and torque converter, consider the source, and their knowledge on the subject, and form your own opinon after talking with Level10. wink
Old 05-12-2002, 11:51 AM

really random??
that actually makes me feel better about the purchase of the torque converter.

i know how the sucker works and all
sorry i couldn't really answer your question srchick but i guess i misunderstood the question

the only thing i don't understand is that do you have to send in your torque converter for a rebuild meaning your stuck without a car for a bit or do they send you a new one?
Old 05-12-2002, 01:26 PM

that was an awesome website! now, my question is this... how much more power is this going to give me if i replace it with a levelten one or some other brand? (pepboys is calling for prices tomorrow)
Old 05-12-2002, 04:26 PM

TeamSRchick:
.. how much more power is this going to give me if i replace it with a levelten one or some other brand?
The torque converter won't give you more power. It will use the HP/TQ more efficiently. Basically better transfer of that power to the wheels.

If you indeed are going to get the torque converter, if cash permits, try a dyno run before and after the install. You will see a difference.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:58 PM

let us know the price
i didn't know you could go to pep boys(grrr! ) and get another brand of torque converter
very nice