Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Timing Belt Change Thoughts/experinces

Old 11-03-2007 | 04:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

After doing some searching I found a few things about timing belts and how to change them. With everything I have read Im in need of options on whether to get the SFR timing belt tune up kit or just take it to the dealer. After reading the DIY posted on here and reading some more, Has anyone else done their own timing belt? I realize if i do my own and things go south thats it, the engine is done. Its not really a question on how to do it more of getting other peoples experiences doing this. I will have some time after thanksgiving and my car is in need of its 60k tune up (slightly late). Also if anyone has recently taken their car to the dealer to do this what did they charge you? Feel free to add anything. I have enought information from searching To do it, just want to know if its WORTH me doing it myself as i know if i fail im F'ED!!
Thanks!!!
Old 11-03-2007 | 05:18 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If you do it yourself just be sure to mark everything and be patient and follow specs. HMAService has everything you need.
Old 11-03-2007 | 07:11 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

I suggest taking it to the dealer. It's a huge PITA and it's possible to cause a lot of damage if you screw it up. wink1.gif
Old 11-03-2007 | 07:56 PM

How much do they charge, Kant. Do you know?
Old 11-03-2007 | 08:14 PM
DTN

if your water pump goes out, $30 in labor + cost of timing belt. That's how I had mine replaced. You've got to remove alot to get to the timing belt.
Old 11-03-2007 | 08:34 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

Before I bring the Tib out of hibernation in the spring, i'm going to take it to the dealer and let them do a full service on it. I think it's about $180 here (including labor) and they do the timing belt, oil change, fuel filter, sissy lube and all that good stuff.
Maybe they'll figure out what's wrong with my lights too while it's there.
Old 11-03-2007 | 11:38 PM

Web tech pictures are not working in some parts for the timing belt. The biggest thing that if someone could clear up is how to make sure the timing is set correctly, i know there are marks but the web tech pics are not showing and the ones i can find arnt 100 definitive. Can anyone point me to the correct direction or explain the line up or post pics? Its my feeling that there should be nothing that you cant do or know how to do on a car and when its fuzzy like this always do more research then necessary even if the best course of action is to take it to a dealer.
Old 11-04-2007 | 12:51 PM

I am sort of an expert with timing belts (the ones on my fiats need to be done every 20,000 mile or so)

Basically, the hardest part is removing the passengerside wheel to get at the bottom of the belt AND removing the large nut that holds the pulley on.

After that, I hope you have small/slender hands as you need to get your hand down between the front of the engine and the side of the car to remove about a dozen 10mm bolts that hold the timing belt cover on.

Basically though, if you are good and have it lined up, you can cut the old belt off and slip the new one one (I recommend replacing the tensioner too) and then, before you button everything up, put a large wrench on the crnk nut and turn the engine over by hand a few revolutions to make sure nothing is hitting (valves to pistons) and the car should be ok.

The trick is not to let anything shift as you take the old belt off and put the new one on.
Old 11-05-2007 | 01:29 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

an easy "double check" method of making sure everything is as it was when you swap the belts is to place a level on both the cam gears (on the chain side) and mark the chain positions in reference to the level. Clean up your crank pulley from all the grime and grease before removing and you'll see the TDC markings, the ones on the cam gear are pretty noticeable. I don't want to go into detail because I think they're a little different on the later years (I've done the 97s and many other inline 4 engines..)
Old 11-08-2007 | 08:34 PM

Thank you all for the good tips. From how im reading this on the cam gear there is a mark and on the crankshaft pully there is a mark and as long as both marks are on when you have everything correct then no problem? From some pictures ive seen there is a hole with a mark on the engine block on both that needs to be lined up correct?