Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Ticking Noise, Oil Light

Old 03-23-2007 | 04:28 PM

ok. tonight, my car's oil light came on while i was waiting in drive-thru. it came on flickered a bit and went off when i pushed the gas. and theres a ticking sound that seems to be getting louder coming from the motor. what is going on here? bad oil pump? do i need a new motor?

i also checked the oil and it seems fine, although my car does go through alot of oil. i usually put a quart every month.
Old 03-23-2007 | 06:06 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

you've got a low oil pressure!

the hla's are being starved of oil, so that's why you've got the loud ticking sound from the head

check your oil level, it might be low again

engine is eating oil huh? it could be a lot of things but mainly:

- oil seals/gaskets
- oil leak
- headgasket
Old 03-23-2007 | 07:00 PM

ive never noticed any oil patches in the driveway, so if its leaking im not sure where the oil could be going. is it safe to run the car like this? is there any way of pin pointing the exact problem? my mechanic mentioned before my oil pan bolts were kinda loose. could this be related?
Old 03-23-2007 | 07:01 PM

Same problem, it was the FRAM oil filter. Swaped it with a hyundai filter, let it run, ticking stops
Old 03-23-2007 | 08:45 PM

Fram are not very good. I run K&N on my RB20. Also if you have a clean engine it would help to identify the oil leak spot. It could also be your rear main seal where you would not notice the leaking on the driveway or anything, unless you took out your tranny. Also if your car smokes you could have bad rings, and be burning oil. But you would notice it if you are going through a quart a month.
Old 03-23-2007 | 09:18 PM

I would drop the oil pan and have a look in there if I where you before something goes really wrong, Check and make sure the oil pickup in the pan is not clogged up with sludge and if everything looks good in there just swap out the oil pump, I have seen people use engine flush in there cars and they end up blocking the pickup tube with all the crap the engine flush broke up or pick up tubes cracking and sucking air. It sucks cause quite a few things can cause you to loose oil pressure, some are easy fixes like a bad filter and some are worse like a spun bearing or bad pump, either way if you loose your oil pressure you loose your motor, oil pressure is the main parameter keeping your motor alive.
Old 03-24-2007 | 05:29 AM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Oh, ok, so that's the brand they were talking about..... I guess we all know not to use Fram from here on out...

Page 1 of 1

Technical Service

Bulletin

Subject

Group

Number

Date

Model

CIRCULATE TO: [ ] GENERAL MANAGER

[X] SERVICE ADVISOR [X] SERVICE MANAGER [X] WARRANTY MGR [ ] SALES MANAGER

[X] PARTS MANAGER [X] TECHNICIAN

ENGINE MECHANICAL

05-20-002

JULY, 2005

ALL MODELS

USE OF AFTERMARKET ENGINE OIL FILTERS

CAUSING ENGINE KNOCKING NOISE

DESCRIPTION:

Some vehicles may experience an engine knock noise with the use of an aftermarket oil

filter. Aftermarket oil filters may use different materials, construction and specifications

than genuine Hyundai oil filters, which may lead to pressure variations within the engine,

thus contributing to an engine knocking noise.

VEHICLES AFFECTED:

All Models

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

Perform an oil change on the vehicle and replace the aftermarket oil filter with a genuine

Hyundai oil filter.

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

Normal warranty procedures apply.

This is not a warranty repair.

Old 03-24-2007 | 06:22 AM

is the oil pump an expensive part to replace? is it hard to get at? i checked my oil this morning and its fine. and the oil light was only flickering last night when i was stopped, not when i was driving. what would be the reason for that? im scared to start the car to see how it sounds today.
Old 03-24-2007 | 07:31 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

oil pump... well it's not the oil pump part itself that is expensive, if you are going to let some else to do it; it's the labour that will cost you a lot. there is a lot involved with it you might as well get your timing belt replaced in the process

i dont think it's the oil pump though, they rarely fail
Old 03-24-2007 | 07:49 AM

im going to change the oil filter and oil here in the next few hours and see what happens. i doubt its that, but maybe. ill post an update.