Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Thud Noise From Steering

Old 10-11-2005 | 07:53 PM

I have a 97 1.8L tiburon. okay its been happening for the past 3 days, every time i turn the wheel in a sharp way it makes a thud thud noise in both directions. I was told its my pump. Was wondering if anyone knows what the problem is and how much it would cost to get it done?
Old 10-11-2005 | 07:58 PM

Need a little more information. Does it "thud" at the end of it's travel? Mine has always done that. Does it thud continuesly as you turn it hard? What do you mean by turning hard? As in all the way over, or turning the wheel fast?

Also, do you feel anything?

There are a number of things it could be. Pump, steering rack, Tie Rod ends, steering shaft U Joints, wheel bearings, even the strut bearing.
Old 10-12-2005 | 06:52 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Here's a tib. Do not turn your wheels while your not in motion and also do not turn your wheel until you can't turn it anymore. Thats where your hearing your thud thud. By doing the following I just mentioned you are saving your steering shaft, rack, tierods, and pump from unnecessary stress. All this meaning longer life.

Meant to say Tip.