Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Those With Newly Built Forged Engines...

Old 09-08-2005 | 12:33 PM

Alright guys..
First oil change at about 1K miles...
I lagged it this time, after so many engines.. i guess i just didnt think luck would bite me in the ass again.

Thats the plug with about 1K miles on it. This is the first oil change.
Keep in mind all new bearings are being used.

The plug clean...

What do you guys think??
Is this similar to what you guys have seen?

I havent had a BUILT engine last this long... so wink1.gif

BTW.. compression test were
165 165 165 170
Engine was warm...
Compression gauge was old... very old though.

BTW... and to those curious about my setup
Sneak peak
Old 09-08-2005 | 12:47 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

When my engine was rebuilt with the tigerlly pistons. I had no signs of any debree.

I would cut the oil filter open and see what or if anything else is in there.

And nice manifold but there's no turbo lmao.gif

Staying with internal wastegate setup?

Head looks nice polished fing02.gif
Old 09-08-2005 | 12:55 PM

turbo gets here tomorrow

wink1.gif

Yes.. im staying with an internal wastegate.. with the turbo im using, i dont expect to push that much PSI to get where i want to go wink1.gif

As far as the head polishing.. it was a b****.. but WELL worth it..

thanx guys

Gary do you have a magnetic plug?
Old 09-08-2005 | 01:16 PM

I would drop the oil pan, just to check out the con rods/crank journals and the damn crank spacers. Also, if there's that much crap on your plug, imagine how much is left IN the oil pan itself (non-magnetic stuff, or stuff that just didn't reach the magnet).

It probably wouldn't hurt to remove the valve cover and scope out the top of the head too. I doubt you'll see "wear" but you should be able to tell how much metal is in the oil by examining the stuff that's washed over the inside, and that pint or so "accumulates" in the corner of the head.

If that was 1000, miles, I would check it again in another 1000. If you still have the old oil, I would also reccomend you send a sample to blackstone labs. They should be able to analize what metal is in the oil to tell you if it is bearing material, rings, cylinder walls, cams, etc.... I've got a "kit" to mail them at my place if you want to use it.
Old 09-08-2005 | 01:31 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

QUOTE (Random @ Sep 8 2005, 02:16 PM)
If you still have the old oil, I would also reccomend you send a sample to blackstone labs. They should be able to analize what metal is in the oil to tell you if it is bearing material, rings, cylinder walls, cams, etc.... I've got a "kit" to mail them at my place if you want to use it.

That's awesome. Website? Cost?
Old 09-08-2005 | 01:35 PM

Well the "new" oil has about 400-500 miles on it already.. ill just wait around to see what that looks like.

Also to note..

I checked the oil when it was replaced.. and the oil looked pretty dam good. Pretty dark,... but not cooked and very small amount of metal flakes.

The oil was changed with hot/warm engine to make sure i got the oil out before debree had a chance to settle.

The oil in the head looks fine.

After looking at it again.. i dont think its that uncommon,... considering it was the first oil change.
Normally oil changes are done at the 300-500 mark to remove all the debree/dirt from the build up and break in wear.

I procrastinated this time and waited until 1k.

Im going to do another oil change before the turbo goes in. If the results are the same.. ill start worrying and preping the hybrid beta.
Old 09-08-2005 | 01:45 PM

The blackstone kit is free. I just happen to have a spare one around. My Suby isn't due for another oil change for another 2000 miles.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Price list
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/tests_price_list.html

FAQ
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/faq_gas.html

Free test kit
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html

You really don't need a "TBN" test unless you wanna try to strech your oil changes out to beyond 5000 miles.
Old 09-08-2005 | 01:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

sorry to be a bit off topic but where'd you get the magnetic plug at?? that would be something nice to have since my tib didn't come with one.
Old 09-08-2005 | 02:12 PM

WOW

it only cost 20 bux?

Alright ill do it next weekend... ill try and put some more miles on the car. By the time i get the results ill have all the turbo crap ready.

summit racing has those magnetic plugs

they arent stock..

So anyone who doesnt have one and has a built engine SHOULD get one...