Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

TB spacer ?

Old 05-29-2002, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

...unless they live in the frozen north.
Old 05-29-2002, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Decker:
The spacer would probably be about 1/4 inch. I'm guessing that anymore would probably be too big and we wouldn't be able to get the nuts back on. Also were going to have to mod the bracket a little so that that'll fit too. It's not going to be too hard to do, but it'll be worth it.
Bingo...I'm already working on this. The size we went with was 6mm.

Decker:
Now i agree with the heat shield,
Utterly pointless. The IM picks up head directly from the head, not the engine compartment. Reference 2Uniq and Jaws021. Both have WRX scoops forcing air down on their IM's. Both still get HOT to the touch. A "heat shield is not going to do a damn thing.

Decker:
wrapping the IM with header wrap or the heat sleeves for headers would probably be a wise idea.
Again, utterly pointles. This would actually help keep the heat IN the IM, not keep it cool. The only way to keep the IM cool is to insulate it from the head, and that means a pheonelic IM gasket spacer.

Decker:
And everyone should re-route their coolant lines even if they don't have BTB or BIM or even a CAI.
With the exception of people in the FAR north (upper midwest, colder parts of canada, and anywhere where the temps drop below zero) That heater line keeps the TB warm enough to prevent ice(condensation and water vapor) from forming on the TB butterly and imparing the function of the TB. It would be fine to remove it for most, but the cold climate folks should re-connect it for winter just as a safty precaution.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, as silly as it may sound...the "heat shield" idea was that it would spawn from the spacer. the shield would be part of the spacer coming up over the IM to cover it...but you're probably right, pointless.

We should just start putting heat sinks and fans on them!!
Old 05-31-2002, 02:23 AM

Again, utterly pointles. This would actually help keep the heat IN the IM, not keep it cool. The only way to keep the IM cool is to insulate it from the head, and that means a pheonelic IM gasket spacer.
Uh, thats what were doing. The spacer he's making is a pheonelic IM spacer or similar material.

Random, you've got to read my posts more carefully(or i need to word them better ). What i'm saying is the heat shield would be usefull, But only if you had a spacer. I KNOW that the heat comes from the damn block. but thats what the spacers is going to prevent. So that IM doesn't get heat transfered to it, and the wrap would prevent the ambient heat in the engine bay from soaking in(although very very mild benefits).

This would allow the air to remain as cold as possible till it reached your block.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:27 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

A heat sheild would be pointless, I think that no matter the spacer on the IM, there would still be a certain anount of heat drawn to the IM, so wrapping it would still only "blanket" the IM, but I do like the heat sinks thought, like those found on an acoustic amplifier, but that would involve designing a new IM (who really wants to do that) rolleyes.gif wink , or slicing grooves into the top of the IM, but how many degrees would you really be loosing?
I try not to be so friendly but I just cant help it
Old 05-31-2002, 05:35 AM

I know the IM to the 2001 elantra is different than the older tibs. But, is the gasket end that bolts up to the block any different?
Old 06-01-2002, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

neal:
I know the IM to the 2001 elantra is different than the older tibs. But, is the gasket end that bolts up to the block any different?
Yes, the gasket is different. But I had one of each, both have been sent off to have pheonelic spacers made.

They will be 10mm Thick. This means you will have to change out your IM studs. Don't worry, it's not that hard. I'll have a "how to" and also list what new studs you need to buy. They are "off the shelf" ARP units.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:44 AM

These going to be sold by SR, Random? Or just by you personally? Or not at all? wink
Old 06-01-2002, 07:10 AM

if all goes well and they make a difference..(the one i produce) after they are tested ..i will sell them personally..if it goes well it really wouldnt take long to make one due to the fact i work with this material alot at wurk..price will be wurked out bepending on how much i can get the material for...since i can get it at cost. i will keep posted on any updates
Old 06-01-2002, 08:30 AM

Random
Yes, the gasket is different. But I had one of each, both have been sent off to have pheonelic spacers made.

They will be 10mm Thick. This means you will have to change out your IM studs. Don't worry, it's not that hard. I'll have a "how to" and also list what new studs you need to buy. They are "off the shelf" ARP units.[/QB]
You never cease to amaze me!