Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

TB spacer ?

Old 05-29-2002, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TB spacer ?

i was wondering if a pheonelic TB spacer mirrors the TB gasket? because i have the means and materials at work to make the spacer and gaskets. if i wanted too i could even make a spacer out of high temp cpvc (my employer does alot of wurk for steel mills)so the high temp materials are easy to come by.
Old 05-29-2002, 04:37 AM

you'll be my personal hero if you can get a hightemp
TB spacer and high-temp IM spacer. You have your first client here, as well as your first tester wink
Old 05-29-2002, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Just insulating the TB would do little/no good.

you would need to put the spacer between the IM and the Head.

However, removing the coolant lines from the bottom of the TB that heat the TB would be a very wise idea.
Old 05-29-2002, 05:12 AM

I AM TALKING ABOUT AN ACTUAL SPACER I CAN MANUFACTUR THEM AT WURK....THATS COOL ILL KEEP YOU IN MIND FISRT WHEN I MAKE ONE .. BUT ARE THE SPACERS DIMENSIONS THE SAME AS THE GASKET?
Old 05-29-2002, 05:22 AM

NO CAPS! smile.gif

hehehe, yeah the spacer would probably be the same size as the gasket, you might want to pick up a new gasket tho, the one you have on your engine may be slightly altered(read squished). You'd probably also need another gasket(one for each side of spacer,depending on what material it was made out of).

I agree with random, that the TB spacer would probably be useless. The thats generated from the engine would affect the IM more than the coolant lines on the TB. Re-route the coolant lines on the TB and make a whole bunch of IM spacers smile.gif
Old 05-29-2002, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

What I am saying is that a pheonelic spacer for just the TB would do little good. Keeping the TB cool would not do as much good as keeping the IM cool, as the TB picks up the heat from the IM. The air spends most of it's time in the IM, so that is where you should concentrate your efforts on cooling.

If you were to make one for the Intake Manifold to go between the IM and the Head, that would make a difference.

The TB is also heated by 2 coolant lines that run into the bottom of it. Removing those coolant lines from the TB and re-routing them back into the block would do some good.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:57 AM

im sorry about the TB confusion..what would be a good thickness for a IM spacer? Hey DECKER ill fab one for you no cost since your offering up your vehicle to be the first vehicle to use one. and if all goes well i can figure out costs and such and try producing more..if all goes well that is.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:22 AM

I am interested in this too, I have been waiting for someone to finally do this. Good for you man, this would be really great.

Do you think it would help if you made kind of a heat sheild for the IM?

I don't know, I kind of get these crazy ideas sometimes, but you know the heat sheild over the headers to our cars? Could you make something that sorta covers the IM (non-metalic) to sheild it from the heat? Just a thought.

Also, where do you think we could get the material they use on the space shuttle, they have these amazing bricks that covers the fuselage that you can blow torch, and then immediately put your hand on them. They dissapte heat as if it didn't exist...amazing stuff...it would do wonders for exhaust parts. Probably not available anywhere...
Old 05-29-2002, 10:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Random:
The TB is also heated by 2 coolant lines that run into the bottom of it. Removing those coolant lines from the TB and re-routing them back into the block would do some good.
This is something any of us can do right? Just take the hose off, route it back around, and plug it into it'self?
Old 05-29-2002, 11:53 AM

hey electric head, do you think you could fab the IM spacer?

The spacer would probably be about 1/4 inch. I'm guessing that anymore would probably be too big and we wouldn't be able to get the nuts back on. Also were going to have to mod the bracket a little so that that'll fit too. It's not going to be too hard to do, but it'll be worth it.

Now i agree with the heat shield, the IM is aluminium so it conducts heat very well. So wrapping the IM with header wrap or the heat sleeves for headers would probably be a wise idea.

Random: i think you have me confused, i'm agreeing with you on the fact that a IM spacer is good and TB spacer is pointless.

And everyone should re-route their coolant lines even if they don't have BTB or BIM or even a CAI.