Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Supercharger W/ Turbo?

Old 09-01-2005 | 05:34 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

WOW... i didn't know it's been done on hyundais!!! i'll bet it would cost so much money. preactically as much money as a brand new car to run that kind of setup and maintain it.

geesh. faith, you make it sound so extreme. intercooled supercharged turbocharged...it's never ending!

any pictures of the setup? and engine detonation... if the computer is tuned right and the engine is qualified to handle that kind of power, your engine would be a rocket!

what kind of quarter miles are we talking about here? i see it as quite possible. i mean if you have a turbo, and you have good income, you probably have your engine re-furbished, so why not add a supercharger and give birth to hell?? i guess it's all about connections to people who know what they're doing and resources to be able to run such a setup without any problems.

i didn't know the S4 was twin-charged. yeah doode, i know all about this rally group B stuff. they got completely banned in 1992 didn't they? the videos from it are insane. they're so fast that the people who are taking photos or are getting in the way of the car do not have ANY time to get out of the way. not only was it a deathly hazard to step on the roads as people were allowed back then, the drivers themselves risked their and their co-driver's lives. today there are many restrictions on current rally cars that even include hp limits. i hear that current rally cars have more than one turbo though. is that right?
Old 09-01-2005 | 08:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

no, they all only have 1 turbo. there is no need for two when you have ball-bearing turbos that spool practically build boost from idle. most modern wrc cars make less than 400hp.
Old 09-02-2005 | 12:10 PM

FYI ... another little factoid about turbo's and superchargers is that turbos will always make more power than a supercharger at the same psi due to parasitic drag ..... i think a better alternative would be a VATN or hybrid turbo which has characteristics of a small turbo at low rpms and then changes to have characteristics of a larger turbo at high rpms...

Garrett Variable Area Turbine Nozzle (VATN) turbo reduces turbo lag with dynamic variations to the area through which exhaust gases enter the turbine housing. VATN turbos accelerate exhaust gases through small nozzle size when exhaust energy is low to quickly spool the turbo, but increase nozzle size as exhaust energy increases with boost and engine RPM—thereby reducing backpressure as an adverse side effect as engine output increases.
Old 09-06-2005 | 03:32 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

QUOTE (City @ Aug 29 2005, 07:13 AM)
Basically, the supercharger is used to create low end boost and an even torque curve across the band while waiting for a large turbo unit to spool up and create it's own boost.

You hit it right on the head, the S/C would be for the all around (and Beatiful) torque curve, and the T/C would be for high end power.

Tuning would just be a matter of the Double Fuel Rail that Denisst has done, and a nice standalone. All that is needed is the correct tune/equations.

As for what Mad-Machine said. Pick up a copy of Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, he shows how the VATN (Variable Area Turbine Nozzle)

Basically what happens is there is an actuator that you can adjust to a certain PSI that changes the area of the Exhaust turbine to give it the area of a small turbine for the low end, then changes to a larger area to create more power in the higher end. Quite amazing.

Click here for a picture The sketched pictures are that of the VATN (sorry all I could find) Those little "flaps" can move to make more/less area. Crazy.