Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Supercharger W/ Turbo?

Old 08-28-2005 | 11:58 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Haha, I was just thinking since a supercharger compresses and pushes air into the engine, and the turbocharger pulls it out from the engine, what would it be like to have them both on simultaneously one one engine? Supercharger replaces the intake manifold and the turbocharger replaces the headers meaning they can both be on. Supercharger pushes, turbocharger pulls... I'm just curious!!

For those of you who don't know much, what do you think would happen if you turned the key?

lmao.gif Would your engine detonate? What if engines were built for these setups would there be astronomical power gains? LOL.
Old 08-29-2005 | 12:02 AM

A turbocharger does not "pull" anything. The difference between the SC and TC is how they are powered. Turbo is powered by the exhaust, supercharger by a crank-driven belt. Both compress the air going into the engine.

However, it HAS been done, on a hyundai even. There's a post somewhere on HP.com about it.
Old 08-29-2005 | 12:14 AM

Yea man, a turbo doesnt really pull anything. Its pushed by the gases that come out of the engine.

I would wonder about it. I mean if you think about it, it seems very possible. There would be loads of benefits.
Although I think it would work very similar to just turning up the boost on your turbo, power wise. However you would see that power increase much much sooner in the powerband. Your turbo would spool up very fast.
Old 08-29-2005 | 12:37 AM

As it's been stated, it has been done before even on a hyundai. You will start gaining power very soon and fast and your torque curve will be very nice and even, although I think root style supercharger would eventually become a restriction if you were to turn up the boost.
Old 08-29-2005 | 01:53 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I think on this forum was posted Subaru WRX turbo charged and supercharged.

I think with S/C T/C it's more a show car.
Old 08-29-2005 | 04:09 AM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

ya the instant torque would be nice, but you would deffinately have detonation issues at certain boost (hard to say what the psi on both would have to be for that to happen ,but) even if you intercool the turbo. both would be heating the air. now what you could do is a vortech supercharger(not a mani mounted) and intercool that as well. that might be interesting. the thought of that workin is just sending my mind into a frenzy of physics.... Eyecrazy.gif it wouold be a fun experiment if i had the funds to just run this setup on an engine. hmmmm
Old 08-29-2005 | 05:13 AM

A company called PSI-FI in New Jersey does "twin charging" (supercharger and turbo) on Mini Cooper S' and has gotten insane results from it.

Basically, the supercharger is used to create low end boost and an even torque curve across the band while waiting for a large turbo unit to spool up and create it's own boost.

They have a Mini S twin-charged that will run with an LS1 GTO (low 13's). Pretty awesome. They also have been looking into twin-charging the Cobalt SS.

So yup, it's been done fing02.gif
Old 08-29-2005 | 06:06 AM

Look it up... Lancia Delta S4 (not the Integrale!)

Walker's Garage <----= Click me!

480 hp from a 1.8 with both a volumex (roots type) Supercharger and a KKK turbo. All mounted in the middle of the car and running all four wheels... might I also add, not only is more powerful than todays WRC cars.. it is LIGHTER!

The Lancia Delta S4 was one of the main reasons Group B rallying was banned in 1985. It was literally too fast and killed people.
Old 08-29-2005 | 06:57 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

there is a guy on hp that has a nitroused intercooled supercharged turbocharged accent

and he produces less power than a stock beta
Old 08-29-2005 | 07:32 AM

^ That's a shame. What a waste of parts.