Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Stuck On Fuel Pump Removal (help)

Old 03-24-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotten the pump so I can pull it out (removed the phillips screws). I pulled the return line off. I removed the 10mm bolt on the top of the pump (it's on a "cam lobe" shaped bracket). I can peer into the tank and see two clamps on a rubber line (I think).

Can I pull on that line steel 90 degree line to get it out?

Do I need to remove one or both clamps under the pump and THEN pull on it?

What's my next step?

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:43 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=4803

pull the whole fuel pump cradle/housing out the tank and remove the hose clamps that secure the rubber hose at the top of the pump, once that's done, just pull the pump out!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:57 PM

Thanks so much (for the link too). I saw that but I couldn't see the pictures before today for some reason (I DID search first!)

I now am wondering just how much I need to tug and twist to get the line off (at the cam-shaped) bracket.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:31 PM

if you look at your fuel filter (right beside the brake booster in the engine bay) that is the same fitting (cam-shaped) used and there is a rubber seal on it that will make it attach onto the outlet nice and snug... a good nice tug up will do (don't pull up on it though the steel fuel line) you can even use a small pry bar of a screw driver if it is being a b****
Old 03-24-2008, 02:16 PM

OK, brand new fuel pump and it's getting spark. Still wont start.

If it's getting spark and the fuel pump is new and humming, can it be anything BUT the fuel filter now? If so can anyone tell me the next step? I so DO NOT want to have it towed and fixed my someone else!

I hope I didn't violate the posting rules here but as you can see, I have a new problem now that the fuel pump has been ruled out. Therefore I started a new thread.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:27 PM

can you please be more specific on the problem? is the car cranking? can you smell fuel around the fuel rail area? what's the story? did it just do it out of nowhere? what's happening to the car before it does this? did you do any work recently on the car? any cel's?

Old 03-24-2008, 02:57 PM

One morning, I started the car and it ran crappy... like not getting enough fuel and poor accelleration. It "fixed" itself about a mile or two down the street. Then ran fine and started fine that afternoon until the next morning where it repeated what had happened earlier. Leaving work, it started and ran great and I parked it at home. I went out to run to the store and it started and ran great again. The next morning (2nd day of this) It just cranked but would not start.

That's where I am today. No CEL at all. It cranks great and I checked the plug wires for spark and I have it. As you know, the FP is brand new.

I do not smell any fuel under the hood at all. I DO hear a little gurgling sound when the FP iss being "jumped" as per RedZman but was told that was normal in another thread.

I hope that was more clear. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:58 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Pull your injectors and see if they are firing. If they fire, and you have spark than you have no compression.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:04 PM

Is there a DIY on that or is it a simple procedure to see if they fire?

Do I need a volt meter?
Old 03-24-2008, 03:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay, the fuel pump is firing when you jump it, but is it firing when you are turning it over?

Crank Position Sensor is my guess. Check yours out.