Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Stock Rods...Oil Squirters....

Old 12-06-2001, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Rods...Oil Squirters....

I have a 2000 tib..I read a post from Red saying that from 98 and on the rods have built in oil squirters...

Which can make the rod weaker since there is a hole in it....

When i get aftermarket rods....Will ther be in a hole in it for the oil....or..do i have to install aftermarket oil squirters...

And if i have to...Will it still make the aftermarket rods weaker...
I would have no idea how to instal aftermarket oil squirters...How would one go about installing that...

Any info would be apprecaited..thx alot
-Jordan
Old 12-06-2001, 02:14 PM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

While we're on the subject of rods, does the engine hafta come out to replace them and the pistons?
Old 12-06-2001, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by skierd:
While we're on the subject of rods, does the engine hafta come out to replace them and the pistons?

Yes. You've got crankshaft-related work to do if you want to replace those bad boys. Bust out the engine hoist!
Old 12-07-2001, 07:00 AM
Red

There are two sides to the story on those oil squirters. I cannot say for sure that it's 100% safe to run "non-oil-squirting" rods on a block that came with them.

Here's the deal.

Much earlier blocks (like blocks built I think 03/99 and earlier) didn't have these oil-squirting rods in them. These motors relied on oil splashing off the crankshaft to lubricate the cylinder walls. A lot of cars do this and this was basically the ONLY way to do it further back in automotive history.

However, sometime in early/mid '99, Hyundai restructured the rods to include these squirters... Why did they do this? Do the new cranks have a different shape that doesn't splash as much? Do the cylinder walls wear faster in the older motors because there wasn't enough oil? Are they just covering their asses in case Mr. Joe Dork doesn't keep enough oil in his car to "splash" effectively?

Who knows? The problem is, I certainly do not. I'm guessing that there is still plenty of "splash" left in the stock crank that you should have no problems replacing your stock rods... There are no aftermarket companies that build rods with oil squirter holes in them, so you're outta luck there.

But if I'm guessing wrong, it might get ugly. If the newer cranks are more streamlined and/or you've had the crank knife-edged at a machine shop, you may be missing a LOT of oil in the cylinder walls. This could lead to faster ring wear, scoring of the cylinder walls and in extreme cases could even lead to a piston seizing in the cylinder bore. eek.gif

I know both of my motors are old enough that they were never equipped with the squirters, so it doesn't bother me. But for those of you looking at rebuilding a newer motor, I honestly cannot say. Look at your crank, does it look like it would splash some serious oil around if allowed? Mine is pretty squared-off on the counterweights and it has cool little holes drilled (this is all stock) in the counterweights so that it appears to perhaps hold oil for better "sling-age" smile.gif

Quick note: If you have an "oil squirter-less" motor, it is a VERY bad idea to install a windage tray in your oil pan.

-Red-
Old 12-08-2001, 03:25 AM

Thx a lot Red..

Maybe if i ask Hyundai...they will give me a deffinit answer...I dunno..

I already had a melted piston....Not looking for another one.....

Thx for the info..
-Jordan