Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Starting Takes Longer Than Usual Sometimes

Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I might of saw something before about this but I forgot where, sorry if I didnt search that well, BUT as the title says, sometimes out of the blue the engine will take a longer time to start, cranking over more times. I dosent happen super often, just it happened the other day when i filled up at the gas station. Im just curious as to what it might be, if its normal or not.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:24 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

in the imoral words of Johnny 5; "need input"

how many miles are on the car ?
any recent work done?
maintenance? oil changed?
mods?
could be a number of things, but as simple as a weak battery.i just replaced my battery and the first thing i noticed was how it started easier, and how bright the interior lights were, as well as the dash lights.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:37 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Most likely spark-plugs if the car is turning over just fine, i had a similar problem, $4 later the car no longer started hard intermittently
Old 01-24-2008, 04:51 PM

25k miles yes only 25k, brand new plugs and wires, oil changed like 300 miles agoe and only major engine mods is a AEM Cai.
that dosent help its as good as new. Battery came with car so idk how old it is.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:55 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

change the battery, dont buy a new one, just steal someones good battery, and test start the tib, or check the voltage on the batt using a voltmeter.

if you think the batt is not the problem, check all vacuum lines that run out of the intake manifold, and all the hoses that come off the intake elbow.

re-gap the plugs to spec

get a fresh tank of gas, and add lucas fuel injector cleaner at fill up, many times bad gas is the simple problem.

after completing all that then
possible clogged Pressure control valve (PCV)

if you have a check engine light:
possible bad Throttle Position Sensor
possible bad Idle Control Valve

after checking that then it could be something else, maybe you sucked in some dirt, and caused some severe damage to the cylinder walls, which reminds me, when was this cold air intake filter cleaned and oiled ? or do you have a dry filter from AEM like me ?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:09 PM

Like i said it only happens once in a lil while , but i think that covers EVERY thing, thanks. AEM dry flow is the way to go, cleaned it a week ago. Just blew all the dirt and little rocks off it. Thanks again
Old 01-24-2008, 08:44 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

mines haveing the same problem did everything oil change every 500 miles since ive had the car (oil gets dirty fast here), new NGK plugs+wires, new air cleaner, new vacum lines, chemical 12 fuel cleaner every other fill up (bp ultimate gas only), battery tested 600 crank amps at 0 F.
only thing left is the pcv , pcv lines, and pcv whatever in the valve cover.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:24 PM

Other possible causes are the camshaft/crankshaft position sensor, or possibly the evaporative emissions purge valve being stuck open. Sometimes things like that can happen and it won't always throw a code.

Topping off your tank to the next dollar can also be a cause of starting issues. Something to do with the vent tube getting filled with fuel and the charcoal canister becoming saturated.

And Tib500- Filling up with premium fuel is not a good idea. 93 octane requires more energy for combustion. So you either need to run the recommended 85 octane, or run higher compression pistons with a higher output spark, or turbocharge if you're absolutely set on using 93. Otherwise, you're just getting an incomplete burn and that will result in lower fuel economy, more deposits in your engine, and decreased performance.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:27 AM

Vehicle: uhm..... N/A

I have this same problem every time I fill up with gas and only when I fill up with gas. I dont understand it. I could have qtr tank fill up with gas as soon as I go to start the car it will crank for like 30 seconds and start instead of the usual 2 revolutions and start.

Also when it starts it idles down at like 600rpms and is really weird untill I hit the gas a few time or just rev it up to like 1500rpms then its fine untill the next time I go to get gas. It has only started this recently. Miles = 100600. Last oil change = 2 weeks ago ~1000 miles. Plugs = ~5 months ago. Brand new Optima Yellow Top battery = 1 week ago. Last gas fill up at Sheetz, previous at speedway, and time before that McQuaids/Sunoco. I tested 3 different gas stations to see if the effects were the same and all after I filled up the car had the same hesitation to start same rough idle. And all of them the car only had the problem that one time after filling up after that it was fine.

QUOTE (AGreen @ Jan 25 2008, 08:24 PM)
And Tib500- Filling up with premium fuel is not a good idea. 93 octane requires more energy for combustion. So you either need to run the recommended 85 octane, or run higher compression pistons with a higher output spark, or turbocharge if you're absolutely set on using 93. Otherwise, you're just getting an incomplete burn and that will result in lower fuel economy, more deposits in your engine, and decreased performance.

I only run 89octain as 85 makes my car sad and depressed and has no will to want to drive. 85octain is fine for vehicles with less than 10:1 compression. Anything above 10:1 compression should run medium grade gas 4 cylinder wise anyways. My old SHO had 10.2:1compression and required premium gas. The Beta II motor having 10:3:1 compression doesnt require it, and will run off of 85octain I just wouldnt recomned it.