Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Speed State Mid-Pipe and Front pipe

Old 12-05-2001 | 03:09 PM

Default Speed State Mid-Pipe and Front pipe

So if I got this for my 2000 shark...all I would need is a pipe to round over the axle and onto my Apexi correct? Where would the front of this piping goto? right before the oxygen sensor on the stock piping under car? Also, once I get my 4-1...will it match up perfectly? All will bolt on (besides the rounded pipe to exhaust...of course)correct? If so, then this can be a self install...if I get those car ramps..am i thinking correctly?

Thank you....im having a hella` time getting new piping done here locally..so even paying a little more for a "proven" cat-back...i dont mind. But now this piping is 2 1/4" ....and the SR 4-1 is 2.5"...I would just need to get a requcer correct? Or would by doing that reduce ANYTHING? I would rather have ALL the same size from header to tail of exhaust..besides the output diameter of my apexi..hehe

-thanks

$253.72 to my door. Any other better ideas?

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: Fast.Shark ]
Old 12-05-2001 | 11:32 PM

I don't know from personal experience, but from what I've read around here on the matter, this is the conclusion I have come to.

The aftermarket headers you buy from SR or other sources are NOT direct bolt-ups to the stock cat-back system. Some are too long, others are too short. I think it has to do with the location of cats and O2 sensors. Regardless, the headers tend to require a custom cat-back to be made.

The aftermarket cat-back setups you can by from the majority of these companies are direct bolt-ups to the STOCK headers. That is part of what makes them a model-specific application. They're assuming that you're putting them onto your stock headers, or have custom headers that match up 100% to stock. Hence, the bad news is, if you buy a SR header and a Tiburon-specific cat-back setup, they will NOT line up without some custom work...cutting pipes and/or changing flanges to make them all fit together nicely.

I'm sure people know of exceptions...like I said, this is just the impression I've gotten on the topic from various other posts, questions, and complaints on exhaust systems around the board.
Old 12-05-2001 | 11:51 PM

If you get the mid-pipe you will have to cut some off of the front when you buy your headders because the headders are longer than the stock headder system. You might want to also think about where you are going to place the catalytic converter. The rear end of the mid-pipe goes over the rear axel. So you would just need to custom fit your rear section to fit it. IMHO it would work a hell of a lot better if you put the entire MBRP system on your car like I did. I did it with a jack and a few bricks. Just takes about an hour and a half, and some beer to do the job.

Good luck with your project. wink.gif
Old 12-06-2001 | 12:03 AM

But I have a Apexi N1 exhaust that I am very happy with. Can I buy the entire piping minus the exhaust?
Old 12-07-2001 | 12:23 AM

Fastshark you'll probably need to do a custom job, it's better than getting pre formed pipes and having to cut them up. Most decent muffler shops could easilly make pipes for you ( and a cat ) for headders. just wait to get the headders, and let a shop do it for you, it's a 2 hr job at best.