Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Spark Plugs

Old 04-30-2002, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs

I am planning on buying "Nology" spark plugs, with the spitfire wires from SR. But I am not sure if "Nology" is any good. If there is better please let me know, preferably with price per plug, and the part number for a 2002 Daewoo Lanos H/B. Thank you, and have a wonderful day.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:03 PM

check kragen auto parts for the part number

i suggest ngk v power spark plugs
they are copper (better conductor than platinum)
they are cheap
its like 1.50 per plug

just get those
Old 04-30-2002, 06:13 PM

I've got the same ones as Jaws..
They do a decent job..
Get those
Old 05-01-2002, 12:18 AM

i have a bunch of friends that work/have sports shops....they seem to think that nology is crap! i persoanlly put in ngk v- powers
Old 05-01-2002, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Nology is Crap. I've had a set. At the first Nissan SE-R Dyno day that we were part of, they tested several sets of Nology wires on several nissan engines. Some with and some without resistor sparkplugs (nology says resistor plugs are required). All the cars lost HP and torque. Even with brand new plugs and new Nology wires, they all lost HP and torque.

Stay away from Nology and "direct hit" wires.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:20 AM

Thanks bro's for the info, so the other plugs are better than the brand new stock one's right. If so why are they better, I am trying to understand the whole spark plug thing. Thank you.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The stock plugs use cheaper materials.

NGK coppers use a more expensive Copper core. Copper is the best conductor you can get in sparkplugs.

Platinum plugs last longer than copper, but copper is a MUCH better conductor than platinum.

Iridium plugs last longer than copper, but not as long as platinum, but again, copper is a better conductor than Irridum.

The better the electrical conductivity of the spark plug, the more electricity there is to jump the gap on your plug.

You wouldn't use a poor electrical conductor in speaker wire or power wires, so not why use it in your most important electrical component, your spark plugs.
Old 05-27-2002, 04:17 AM

Random:
The stock plugs use cheaper materials.

Iridium plugs last longer than copper, but not as long as platinum, but again, copper is a better conductor than Irridum.
Actually, Iridium has up to 20 times more lifetime than platinums. And where are you getting this information about conductivity? Copper is obviously an excellent conductor, but you're getting into immeasurable differences. Plug longevity is really anyones only concern, unless they're using these plugs in a 2 second car.
Old 05-27-2002, 07:37 AM

I would have to agree with RANDOM and ONLY1DB. Check out Magnecor's web site http://www.magnecor.com/index.htm

They have a full write up on all the popular name brand plugs and plug wires. They stated Nology's plugs as being crap, and said that SplitFires Spark Plug wires were horrible at suppressing both RFI (radio frequency interference) and EMI (electromagnetic interference). Actually worse than stock wires.
Old 05-27-2002, 09:20 AM

GRiM:
And where are you getting this information about conductivity? Copper is obviously an excellent conductor, but you're getting into immeasurable differences. Plug longevity is really anyones only concern, unless they're using these plugs in a 2 second car.
Resistivity: (lower is better)
[*]Copper: 1.7x10^-8 Ohm-meter
[*]Platinum: 10.6x10^-8 Ohm-meter

Not immeasurable wink Not insignificant either. Of course neither would be pure elemental metal in the plug, but the properties carry over into the alloys.

Copper is softer, the plugs erode faster in service. But long life is not the only consideration--spark quality is. The plug configuration can play a huge part in this--that's why proper gap is essential. Good plug design helps the spark. Copper also gives up its valence electrons at lower energy, its electron affinity is half of platinum's. This means that it will spark quicker when building from a zero charge--when you consider that each cylinder undergoes its full 4-stroke cycle in less than a millisecond while you're driving, leaving less than 1/4 of a millisecond to actually burn the fuel in a cylinder, the spark speed does count.

It's not just for racing--a cleaner burn helps fuel efficiency during daily driving and reduces hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions.