Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Spark Plug Gap

Old 06-08-2002 | 03:18 PM

Default Spark Plug Gap

Hey guys, i just replaced my spark plugs w/ some Denso's (auto-zone didn't carry NGK sad.gif and didn't want to use champion plugs). I'm not sure if they're good, better, or best but the guy @ A/Z said they're made by NGK...anyway, the owner's manual said to gap the plug about.0039 -.0042 inches. Is there a 'performance' gapping method? I just gapped them @ .0040.

I'm unsure if i've been riding around on really old pugs or the Densos are awesome, but i felt a BIG difference in torque/hp and throttle response.

Very happy with this and i recommend any1 to replace their plugs!

Rich
Old 06-08-2002 | 05:09 PM

Just put new plugs in my 00 Tib and I gaped em' at .0045. Seems to be fine. NGK V-groove.
Old 06-12-2002 | 03:11 AM

Well, this is what i figured.... since the electrode will wear down, it will effectively increase the gap between the it and the "arm" over time. So i suppose it would start out @ .0040 but you know, probably get larger as i race all the civics i can.

Rich.
Old 06-12-2002 | 03:17 AM
Red

The only real "performance" way to gap them is to use a die grinder and grind off the ground electrode (the L-shaped piece) and SIDE-gap the plug.

Doing it this way, you gap the plug by adjusting the distance between the center electrode and the ground strap thingy on it's side. When you're done, looking directly at the plug will like like a circle with a dot in the center.

Lemme see if I can find a picture, just a sec...
Old 06-12-2002 | 03:25 AM
Red

Here's a good example:

See how they've shaved the electrode down and now placed it off to the side? Gapping your plugs this way completely "opens up" the spark to face the combustion chamber, versus being "squeezed out" sideways. Flame front propogation times can improve by using this, as well as it can keep your plugs from fouling as fast.

You can do this with any plug, just gotta spend some time grinding and filing and measuring smile.gif Once you get good, it only takes about five minutes to do a set of four...
Old 06-12-2002 | 04:35 AM

Maby Im dense but where do you gap from. The front edge of the new ground are to the closer edge of the core or to the far edge to the core?

Thanx
Old 06-12-2002 | 05:23 AM
Red

Well that picture isn't 100% perfect wink You gap it sideways, so you pull the grounding strap away from the center electrode to make the gap.

You can see where there's about a 3-thousandth gap on that side-gapped plug right now That will of course need to be widened to the normal 0.038-0.042 or whatever you want to use.
Old 06-12-2002 | 05:26 AM

Red do you have any pics of that process where the plugs are vertical? I think I understand but I am having problems visulaizing how to cut the plug. I have some old spark plugs I would really like to see if I can try this. BTw did you do this on your new motor?
Old 06-12-2002 | 05:30 AM

Gotcha.
Well if all goes well Ill beign doing this next week. Ill take pics ETC ETC..
ANd some vid's

I won't be able to tell what is doing what at that point as I am doing 4 things at the same time. (I hope lots of dreams so little cash)

But Boring the IM and TB
New wires and NGK plugs
Old 06-12-2002 | 05:44 AM
Red

Here, I drew up a picture really fast in Image Composer:

I have no clue why the background turned out black, but oh well... You get the idea.