Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Sooo... I Have A Problem That Apparenly Isnt Uncommon...

Old 12-02-2005, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

Ive been searching the forums on this Hesitation/bogging issue.. that i definelty have in my 1999 SE tib.... There have been lots of "suggestions" on what could be causing this but i havent seen any definite replies as to what it is or whats causing it....

Has anyone with this problem found out exaclty what it is and found the solution to fixing it... ??

Ill describe exactly what its doing the best i can:

It only does it after its been sittin long enough to completly cool down. When i start it up it starts fine, idles fine, goes into gear fine and seems to go fine until you give it a little gas... when i let out the clutch a bit and give it some gas (no im not flooring it or giving it gas real fast, just normal) it just kinda boggs and almost dies.. it actually has stalled on me before cuz i didnt put the clutch back in fast enough. It does this for a couple mins and then once its a little warmed up.. like maybe 2-3 mins later its fine.. If i start the car and let it warm up for 10 min .. this problem is eliminated... Weird.. the car is only summer driven.. i would hate to see it in the winter:S

Also, on the hwy.. in like 4th and 5th gears, it has a really hard tim accelerating after abour 4500 RPM.. kinda boggish.. it will go but u can feel a real hault in the acceleration power at about that piont.. (dont know if this is related to the bogging thing^^ . It could be dues to the super constricted stock exhaust with 3 millions cats and resonators )

Ive talked to a few ppl about it and they have suggest these things

Moisture in the distributor cap?
Clogged fuel filter?
dirty injectors ?
Plugs/wires?

Its not the CAI.. it was doing this before and after that was installed..
ITs not the plugs.. i already replaced those and it didnt fix the prob

Does anyone know??
Thanks smile.gif
Old 12-02-2005, 10:10 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

It's a combination of things, and the RICH running ECU doesn't help any. I don't have the issue anymore, but I've done a decent amount to my car also.

I'd suggest changing your plug wires to the PRD's and running a can of B12 Fuel Injector cleaner about once every 4 or 5 tanks.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:13 AM

mine did it.. changed plugs and wires and it STILL did it. but now it hasnt. so idk if that fixed it or what i cant remember how long after i changed it that it stopped. but all my plugs looked fine when i changed them out.. but maybe fuel pump or filter? next time your on E buy some injector cleaner and dump that in the tank then fill up. i think thats how lol read the directions. do that for maybe your next two times you fill up. could help some. i dont think its the dist cap. because mine WAS doing it durin the summer and into fall. but now it isnt and im gettin snow and rain all the time
Old 12-02-2005, 10:20 AM

Yeah ill have to get some injector cleaner and run it through in the spring.. car is stored for winter right now..

I am actually kind of leaning towards the dist cap.. it does it much worse when its humid in the summer .. it doesnt do it as bad just before i put it away for winter when its colder out and theres no humidity...
Old 12-02-2005, 10:26 AM

Dist Cap?

You don't have a Distributor Cap hon.

LOL

I know, I would have said to do that one too, constant problem on my old Excel.

Get you some PRD Wires in the meantime, and some other little mods to put on in the spring.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:30 AM

Hahaha ... well now.. we can eliminate that one then !!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:31 AM

LOL

How many miles are on the car?

What type of gas do you use? (Octane rating)

Ever changed the wires or fuel filter?
Old 12-02-2005, 10:32 AM

lol if you take it some place ask them to check the dist cap just for sh*ts and giggles. good luck with the prob though
Old 12-02-2005, 10:35 AM

yup.....sounds like worn ignition wires....being they are bad they dont distribute the jolt quiet the same....so ur cylinders do not have the full spark to combust the fuel air mixture into full power.....
Old 12-02-2005, 10:39 AM

Well theres 145000 KMs on it.. donno how much that is in miles...

QUOTE (homey14h @ Dec 2 2005, 11:32 AM)
lol if you take it some place ask them to check the dist cap just for sh*ts and giggles. good luck with the prob though

LoL i should get them to check the pisculator vavle, the healight fluid and the muffer bearings too ...

I should have known there was no dist cap.. lol .. now i know..