Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Someone Help Im A Little Worried

Old 11-12-2007 | 12:24 PM

ok so i have been having a similar problem as a few of the members on this site. first off my car was acting funny and making a loud tapping noise followed by my car having like half the power it normally does and felt like it was holding back. accompanied by this was the idle surging up and down and almost dying, i eventually got a flashing check engine light which means a misfire and i scanned it and got p0302, (which is misfire cylinder 2) so i ordered new spark plugs and wires, upgrading to prd wires and ngk iridium plugs. figured i would throw those on, run some fuel injector cleaner and sea foam and that would take care of the problem. so now im waiting for those in the mail and today i decided to check my old wires and plugs. well i pull out cylinder 2's plug and discover that the tiny electrode at the top of it was missing and figured out that the tapping noise was probably that little piece inside the cylinder. the funny part now is that this all originated on Saturday night and the tapping noise went away Saturday night, its now Monday and the noise has not come back. i changed out the spark plug and the motor sounds like a dream now. my question is should i be worried that i bent a valve or anything even if the car runs fine now? i think the piece is so small that it could have just worked its way into the exhaust, but i have no clue. i think if the piece was still in there it would still make the noise, but like i said the noise has disappeared, and it sounds better then it ever has. any suggestions?
Old 11-12-2007 | 06:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

It would be a miracle if that piece somehow escaped the cylinder through the exhaust valve without bending one. Can you do a compression check? That should tell you right away?
Old 11-13-2007 | 10:49 AM

i have no idea how to do one or what tools are required.
Old 11-13-2007 | 11:13 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai F24S

QUOTE (rollwitstyle @ Nov 13 2007, 12:49 PM)
i have no idea how to do one or what tools are required.

You can get a compression tester at most hardware stores. Anywhere from 20-40 bucks.

Testing your compression is fairly easy:

-Disconnect your coil pack

-Pull the fuse for your fuel pump

-Pull the spark plugs

-Put the compression tool hose in a spark plug hole, and screw it in like you would a plug. Crank the engine for a certain amount of time ( I don't remember exactly what, it should say in the directions with the tester, or someone else can chime in here) and then check the compression with he gauge attached to the tester. Once you check one, move to the next.

When finished, remember to reconnect the coil pack and fuel pump, or you car won't run at all.

If I missed anything, please correct me.
Old 11-13-2007 | 11:35 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I usually do 5 cranks. Just make it the same for each cylinder. Usually helps to have someone helping also.
Old 11-16-2007 | 04:18 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

what exactly is sea foam and where do u put it in your car? What does it do?
Old 11-16-2007 | 04:26 PM

^^^^^^^ this will explain all about it click here
Old 11-16-2007 | 04:46 PM
Nex

^^ link doesnt work
Old 11-16-2007 | 04:48 PM

yes it does think about it lol owned.gif
Old 11-16-2007 | 04:51 PM
Nex

i get it, you suck owned.gif