Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

So.... My Tibby Is Quite F'ed

Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I have a 97 FX tibby (auto), and all of a sudden, the tranny seemingly died. Now my reverse gear doesn't do anything (RPMs go up, but nothing happens). The overdrive gear will only work in first, but anything past that works the same as reverse (RPMs shoot up, but nothing catches). The biggest problem, however, is shifting into 3rd. It resists shifting for as long as it can, then finally JERKS into it (keeping the RPMs low helps a bit, but there's still a big jerk when it catches).
I tried to call my mechanic today, but when I didn't get an answer, I realized they closed at 1:00 on Saturdays. They're closed Sundays, so I have to wait till Monday... and I still need my car to commute to work, but I know driving it at all can't be good for it right now.

So.... what can I do?
And do you have any idea how much it would be to have my tranny rebuilt (or have a new one put it)?

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-03-2009, 03:05 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

check out the shifter cables first, the bushings and master cylinder fluid level. you have any spots in your driveway? i had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a shifter cable boot leak (on top of the transmission). it is likely that. check it thoroughly up close for leaks and cracks.

otherwise it's the clutch but i doubt it.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:42 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

^ "auto", "overdrive"
Old 05-03-2009, 08:51 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Does the car have issues when you put it in 2nd and 3rd ? Have you checked your transmission fluid for metal or changed it lately? That should at least tell you something. Metal shards probably means its terminal. If you find nothing there may still be hope.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:31 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

I've heard from a few people if you haven't changed your tranny fluid in over 100k miles that you shouldn't do it. The new fluid will break up all the gunk and that will F up your tranny. Not sure if that is true or not.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:28 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^ I've heard it too, but never seen it happen before.

You could probably say the same thing about oil though. If you leave it in too long then try to change it you will just destroy your motor from breaking loose the junk, but if you just leave it in, it's going to do damage then too.

I suppose if your tranny is already messed up, changing the fluid couldn't make it worse.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:05 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ the junk is what damages the engine, that and loss of viscosity. If you leave your oil in too long, you've damaged your engine.

CONVERTER STALL TESTStall test consist of determining maximum engine speed obtained at full throttle in "D' and "R" positions. This test checks torque converter stator overrunning clutch operation, and holding ability of transaxle clutches and low-reverse brake.During this test, make sure that no one stand in front of or behind vehicle.1.Check transaxle fluid level. Fluid should be at normal operating temperature [80-90テつーC (176-194テつーF)]. Engine coolant should also be at normal operating temperature [80-90テつーC (176-194テつーF]).2.Apply chocks to both rear wheels.3.Attach an engine tachometer.4.Apply the parking and service brakes fully.5.Start the engine.6.With the selector lever in the "D" position, depress the accelerator pedal fully to read maximum engine rpm. Do not hold the throttle wide open any longer than is necessary to obtain maximum engine rpm reading, and never longer than 5 seconds at a time. If more than one stall test is required, operate the engine at approximately 1,000 rpm in neutral for 2 minutes to cool the transaxle fluid between tests.Stall speed: 2,300-2,700 rpm7.Place the selector lever in the "R" position and perform the stall test by the same procedure as previously described.Stall Speed Above Specification in "D"If stall speed is higher than specification, rear clutch or overrunning clutch of transaxle is slipping. In this case, perform hydraulic test to locate cause of slippage.Stall Speed Above Specification in "R"

2001 > G 2.0 DOHC > Transaxle/Transmission SERVICE ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURESTRANSAXLE FLUID LEVEL INSPECTION1.Drive the vehicle until the fluid temperature reaches normal operating the usual temperature [80-90テつーC (176-194テつーF)].2.Place the vehicle on a level floor.3.Move the selector lever sequentially to every position. This will fill the torque converter and hydraulic system with fluid, then place lever in "N" (Neutral) position.4.Before removing the dipstick, wipe all contaminate from area around the dipstick. Then take out the dipstick and check the condition of the fluid.The transaxle should be overhauled under the following conditions.a.If there is a "burning" odor.b.If the fluid color has become noticeably blacker.c.If there is a noticeably excessive amount of metal particles in the fluid.5.Check to see if the fluid level is in the "HOT" range on dipstick. If fluid level is low, add automatic transaxle fluid until the level reaches the "HOT" range.Transaxle fluid: GENUINE HYUNDAI ATF SP-II, DIAMOND ATF SP-II or AUTRAN MMSP-II.Low fluid level can cause a variety of abnormal conditions because it allows the pump to take in air along with fluid. Air trapped in the hydraulic system forms bubbles which are compressable. Therefore, pressures will be erratic, causing delayed shifting, slipping clutch and brakes, etc.Improper filling can also raise fluid level too high. When the transaxle has too much fluid, gears churn up foam and cause the same conditions which occur with low fluid level, resulting in accelerated deterioration of automatic transaxle fluid.In either case, air bubbles can cause overheating, and fluid oxidation, which can interfere with normal valve, clutch, and servo operation. Foaming can also result in fluid escaping from the transaxle vent where it may be mistaken for a leak.6.Be sure to examine the fluid on the dipstick closely.

TRANSAXLE FLUID REPLACEMENTRefer to GROUP GI-Lubrication and Maintenance.SELECTOR LEVER OPERATION CHECKa.Shift the selector lever to each range and check to see that the lever moves smoothly and is controlled. Check to see that the position indicator is correct.b.Check to be sure that the selector lever can be shifted to each position (by button operation as shown the illustration).c.Start the engine and check to see if the vehicle moves forward when the selector lever is shifted from "N" to "D" and moves backward when shifted to "R".d.When the shift lever malfuntions, adjust the control cable and the selector lever sleeve. Check for worn shift lever assembly sliding parts.

findme(''); findme(''); findme('');

2001 > G 2.0 DOHC > Transaxle/Transmission INSPECTIONa.Check the control cable for function and damage.b.Check the bushing for wear or damage.c.Check the spring for damage or deterioration.d.Check the overdrive switch for continuity.

2001 > G 2.0 DOHC > Transaxle/Transmission KICK DOWN SERVO ADJUSTMENT

1.Completely remove all dirt and other contaminating materials adhered around the kick down adjusting screw.2.Loosen the lock nut.3.Loosen and tighten the adjusting screw two times by torque of 5 Nm (3.6 lbテつキft)4.Tighten adjust screw by torque of 5 Nm and then, loosen the adjust scre 3 to 3-1/3 turns.5.Tighten the lock nut to the specified torque.Before assembling, apply sealant (DC780) to center portion of the adjusting screw findme(''); findme(''); findme('');

2001 > G 2.0 DOHC > Transaxle/Transmission TRANSAXLE RANGE SWITCH ADJUSTMENT1.Place the selector lever in the "N" (Neutral) position.2.Loosen the manual control lever lock nut to separate the cable and lever.

3.Place the manual control lever in the "N" (Neutral) position.4.Turn the transaxle range switch body until the 12 mm (.47 in.) wide end of the manual control lever aligns with the switch body flange [12 mm (0.472 in.) wide portion].5.Tighten the attaching bolts (2 pcs.) to the specified torque.

When setting up the switch body, be careful O-ring not to drop from the switch body. Tighten the attaching bolts carefully.6.Make sure that the selector lever is in the "N" (Neutral) position.7.Adjust the flange nut so that there is no slack in the control cable and make sure that the selector lever operates smoothly.8.Run the vehicle and confirm that the transaxle is set in each range when the selector lever is shifted to each position

these were just some of the DIY stuff I found on the HMAService.com site. login rdtiburon.com password tiburon

Go to advanced and have the codes read so we can find out more.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Pull off the pan on the bottom of the transmission and have a look in the bottom. Lots of black sludge and little chunks of metal is Very Bad. A little skin of black stuff on the pan and maybe some very very fine flakes of metal may be "normal". Remove the transmission oil filter and replace it with a new one, and then replace the transmission fluid until it's full using the test described in the stuff DTN posted. Then change the fluid a few more times by draining from the drain plug in the pan (because a lot of fluid stays in the torque converter) or else do a proper flush.

If all that fails, you may have some bad clutches in the transmission. That could also be said a different way: you need a new transaxle. Replacing the transaxle is an advanced DIY but you can do it yourself, if you can find a good replacement.

If you have never changed transmission fluid in a long time, and you do and the transmission fails, the transmission was about to fail anyway. Change your oils, people!