Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

So My New Oil Filter Is Dripping!

Old 04-19-2006, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like said above... you do not need to drain the oil to change the filter. I am thinking you either have a damaged seal on the filter, or there is a part of the old filter's seal still stuck to the mount. Remember, oil filters take a good amount of pressure at the mount. Whatever the engine is putting out in pressure, is hitting the relief valve built into the filter.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:25 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

I've used several different kinds of oil filters and mine leak too. It's an extremely slow leak but still.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:56 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Coupe 1997

just for intrests sake, what happens is you double thread the engine mount, what would you have to replace?
Old 04-19-2006, 05:07 PM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

I recommend thoroughly inspecting both mating surfaces. Check for cracks or tears in the gasket seal. Also, check the metal sealing surface on the motor for cracks. If you use a diff filter, they tend to be of different size, and the rubber gasket could be thicker in diameter as well, this could be an issue. I've seen caked up debris and rust form on the metal surfaces outside of the sealing surface. Scrape these off and smooth for a good seal.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:56 PM

cheers, that could be it actually

it looks like its only like one drip after a full days driving so its not end of the world type stuff thank f***.

I might give the engine mount a bit of a sand and drain the oil AGAIN lol
Old 04-20-2006, 06:33 AM

why do you keep draining the oil? The filter sits above the oil level in the pan, so it is not going to drain it all out when you pull it off.

careful if you sand that mating surface. Take a can of brake clean and liberally clean it all out when you are done, you do not need anything abrasive getting into your engine.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:37 AM

next time i need to rip the filter off i wont drain the oil, ill just unscrew the filter a little and let the oil drain - cheers for the tip !
Old 04-20-2006, 03:00 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

and... when it comes to tightening, there is such a thing as TOO tight.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

tongue.gif Stripping it on just means it's on there that much tighter! tongue.gif
Old 04-20-2006, 08:11 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

well i skimmed through the thread but heres a few pointers for you and anyone else who doesnt know (i worked in a lube shop for abit smile.gif )

oil filters... ya some are defective so if you toss it on and it leaks, it could be just simply cause its defective, thats what when you do a oil change you do a start check and hold the rpms at abour 3k for like 5 seconds to see if anything leaks

second, make SURE you remove the rubber gasket of the old filter, sometimes when you take your old filter off the old gasket is baked or squashed on there, so make sure you remove it if it didnt come off, (bad things happen when you have 2 rubber gaskets and a filter)

third, do NOT torque your oil filter on, it aint canadian tire or walmart were they use impact guns to put em on (trust me we got alot of cars pretty f'ed up from them) hand tighten it only, you want it pretty dam hard on there but only as hard as you can with your hand, no levers, air guns or pullys

oh and dont put damaged filters on either (duh)

think thats pretty much it in a nut shell smile.gif