Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Is Sliping bad?

Old 05-15-2002 | 10:08 PM

ok i changed the fuild like 2 weeks ago and when i changed it it was black!! soo i changed it and flushed it to get sum of the **** out too, but it didnt help. I want to do a 5-speed swap really bad but i dont kno where to get the parts and i dont feel like spending all that money when i cn get something else thats better like a body kit or something
Old 05-15-2002 | 11:06 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Check the other stuff too man, like the mountings. If you're only experiencing these symptoms when the engine is in the "hot" condition,and all other checks come up good, congratulations dude, your drive and driven components have been beaten to death, and are now dead. This is reinforced further by the blackness of your old fluid(drive/driven component's materiel). Was the ATF filter(inside the sump) changed also? If it was not, it could be causing a pressure drop at the Valve body/pick-up.

Check the fluid levels when the engine is in the "cold" condition, if it is acceptable, either a new gearbox or a complete rebuild will be in your future...before that, have the AT control module checked out, this is the computer that controls your automatic transmission, along with all the ancillary sensors, pulse-generator sensors, kickdown servo, whatever else...

If everything checks out good, then it's the end of the road for this transmission, and both of the above options apply.

Good luck dude...!
Old 05-15-2002 | 11:34 PM

ok the wierd thing is that it only really does it when im driving nice, when i drive it hard it shifts smooth. Also theres another thing, what is a auto post to shift at? Mine when i floor it, it goes past the redline sometimes and then shifts it scares me b/c i dont know when its goin to go to far hehe
Old 05-15-2002 | 11:42 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Check all of the above possibilities from all of the members to pinpoint the problem man...that way you know exactly what you'll be in for if you have to go to the shop. Saw this only 3 times before, 2 times it was because of the drive and driven plates being worn beyond the service limit, the other time it was because of a clogged filter which was causing a pressure drop. Pressure is higher in the TC and front pump as RPM increases, the same with harder driving.

This is what the clues suggest...
Old 05-16-2002 | 12:02 AM

is this a warrenty thing then? or would i have to pay for it
Old 05-16-2002 | 06:00 AM

Take it to the dealer if you haven't already...the same thing was happening to my tib and they replaced a cable and ever since then it's been driving nice and smoothe...
Old 05-16-2002 | 01:04 PM

MechaniX_034:
Check the fluid levels when the engine is in the "cold" condition
Good point. Take it back to the dealer if you try all this and the problem persists. And the fact that you are having problems w/ your rev limiter...how hard do you drive???
Old 05-16-2002 | 10:11 PM

i drive like nice most of the time but when there is a open road, i like to let her rip
Old 05-16-2002 | 11:04 PM

dam man take it to the dealer duh thats what the warranty is for use it