Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Short Shifter Problem

Old 01-20-2008, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

It's the same problem i have with my shifter, and it sucks, I haven't found a replacement yet.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:08 PM

right ill give that a try. im pretty sure that is the problemas there is loads of play down there.
ill try and get this done in the week and let you guys know how i get on.
thanks for all the help
Old 01-20-2008, 03:37 PM

Well I can tell you a quick fix for the problem, not sure how long it will last but it should last a while. The bushing at the pivot point from the stock shifter will not work, I had the same problem with the OBX shifter when I had one, What I did as a quick fix was I took a piece of 3/8 fuel line I had laying in the garage and cut a small piece about 1 inch long and pushed it into the hole in the shifter linkage where the bushing would normally go, I then put a bunch of grease on the pivot ball on the shifter and pushed it into the center on the piece of hose creating a rubber shifter bushing, Drove it that way for about 6 months with no problems, it was nice and tight, but I upgraded to the Rside so I'm not sure how long it would have lasted but when I took it apart it still looked good.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

That's a damned good idea.

As for the videos, you can see how much better it looks with the spring correct.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 PM

ok i had a look around today but had trouble finding the part so i cut a piece a of rubber hose to the shape of the stock bushing like said above. its a really snug fit but seems to do the job. the hose wasnt quite a wide as the stock piece so i put it inside another plastic sleave to fatten it up abit. installed it and its made a big differance. it feels 10 times better than before. 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th have next to no wobble and dont return to the centre anymore. 5th and reverse are a little loose still and do spring back but its still a lot better. im sure its the spring which is returning it to the centre when in 5th and reverse.
ill keep looking for the propper part but for now its a big improvement. it feels like the old gear stick now just much shorter and a bit more posative. sorry i didnt get any pics but there wasnt really much to show. its just a small bit of hose instead of the bushing and i was getting stressy with it again lol.
thanks a lot for all the help guys
Old 01-21-2008, 08:08 PM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650

What size is the ball? I could make some and ship them to those that need them.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:49 AM

that would be cool. im not sure on the size though and id have to take it all apart again to find out. i think it was about 9mm of the top of my head. it fitted in the stock one fine if that helps. i put the stock one away somewhere last night. ill try and find it tonight.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:46 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I had the same issue when REDZMAN sent me the B&M shifter I am currently using. The fix I used was to cut off the piece from the bottom of the stock shifter, then weld it to a bolt and thread it into the B&M. It allowed me to use the stock bushing. If you run into problems in the future, keep that in mind. You've got all the pieces, you just have to cut and reweld the little stock nubbin.

Other then that, you can call B&M and ask them to send you the little ball cap bushing for the shifter. Yours looks like mine, so I assume it's a B&M.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:18 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

His looks nothing like a BNM.

B&M's are always blue somewhere. his is silver/gunmetal. If you look at the ebay link, it's also vacuum bagged to a piece of cardboard, and B&M's come in a box. His shift knob is different too.