Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Short Shifter Problem

Old 01-15-2008, 04:56 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

for the shifter, get a pair of needlenose, vice grips, or chainnose plyers on the back side of the bolt (the one that is held in place by plastic) and tighten the front bolt until it feels good. That will remove the wobble.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi
ill have a go a tightening the bolt tonight. hopefuly that will do the job.
i had another look at the hosses and they are not v6 hosses. i may be able to modify the bottom one but the top is to wide not long. it goes up acress then up again and its the acress that is to long if you see what i mean. so the ends of the hose dont meet the radaetor and engin.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:13 AM

ok i tried tightening the bolt but no change in the wobble. it dose feel nicer so it must have been a bit loose but if did nothing for the wobble. i tried uncrossing the spring again but this made it worse so i put it back. i dont get it eveything looks how it should. im starting to wonder if maybe the silver block that the bolt goes through is a mil or short. so even with the bushes in its not quite snug enough. i might try fattening up the bushes so its much tighter. im guessing it will make movement of the shifter left and right a little tuffer but it might be enough to hold it in place when in gear.............worth a shot lol
Old 01-18-2008, 06:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

If your spring is crossed, you are wrong. Uncross it. The spring, when installed, should have one arm on each side of the plastic nipple on the shifter base, which corresponds to the metal nipple on the shifter block.

Doesn't matter if it "Feels" better crossed, you are just bandaiding things, get us pictures, and we can help.

Otherwise, take the short shifter out, and verify that everything is in there right.

Did you put the plastic bushing back in on the BOTTOM shift ball on the new shifter?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:38 AM

hello mate
i had to re use the old plastic bit on the bottom as my shifter didnt come with a new one. can you buy these from anywhere? better yet if anyone has one they dont need ill give you something for it. ill try and get some pics up tonight if possable. maybe a short vidoe of te wobble if this can be done? ill uncross it again then if its going to creat problems. just means i wont be able to look and see what gear im in. i normaly remember though lol

iv taken a short video clip on my phone demonstrating the wobble in first and second gear as an example but i,t isnt my thing so im not sure how to post a video on here? can any one help with this? i can email it to some one if thats easyer? ill stick it on the computer when i get home from work in an hour or so and try to sort somthing out.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 AM

Check and make sure the white bushing didnt' fall off. Also, you used the white bushings from the OEM shifter on the SHIFT block too right?

To post pics or vids, go to www.photobucket.com and make a free account. Upload them there, then post the links here.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:08 AM

yeah i used those too. ill check out photo bucket when i get home.
thanks for the help mate

ok here is a couple of pics. one of the shifter and one of the shifter in first gear.
also a shot video of the shifter going into first gear then a wobble then home and then to second gear and another wobble so you guys can see what im on about. hopefully this works.

i know that the spring is crossed and i will be undoing this but in terms of this wobble it makes no differance if its crossed or not. ifact it feels better crossed. but i trust redz advice enough to un cross it.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:10 AM

Looking at the pics and video, the biggest problem right now is the crossed spring. Your pics just show stuff from the back, but if you get some pics of the front part of the shifter, it could help.

See, the spring arms end out crossing on accident, when you take it off because they are PRESSING together. When the spring is UNCROSSED, you are pushing the shifter in the same direction that the spring is pushing, giving it that mushy soft feeling.

Take the whole thing apart, and get me pics of the shifter while it's OUT of the car, and a video of you holding the shift block, and moving the shift knob left and right.

What I'm looking for, is if your upper pivot is assembled correctly. I'm assuming you had to assemble this shifter yourself right? It was like vaccum packed against a piece of cardboard?

If you can, take pics, step by step, as you take it apart, and put it back together, and we'll get this fixed. It may be a bit tedious, but I'd rather you got it fixed instead of getting mad and going around with a messed up shifter.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:00 AM

ok i had another look and took a few more pics. i put the spring back the other way now and it dose that return thing again. i took a shot video of it doing this. you can see as i put it in first and secon soon as i let go of the shifet its springs back to the neutral position. im strating to think its somthing to do with the slastic bit on the bottoms of the shifter clock. there is far more movement on the new one than the old one. again i too a few pics of the old one and the new one. hope these pics help.

new shifter

old shifter has a different shaped ball on the bottom and has far less play than the new one

im sure eveything is installed right.

here is the video of the shifter now the spring is the right way. you can see how when i gear it springs back to the neutral position and still has the wobble.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:39 PM

Okay, looking at that, it looks MUCH better. What you need to do is take the bushing that is on the BOTTOM ball, and take it to some local hardware stores and find a replacement bushing, that is a full circle. What's happening is the flat spots on there are giving you a bunch of play.

Also, I'd recommend going to your local Hyundai dealer and ordering replacement bushings for the white ones IN the shifter block, I replaced mine when I did my latest short shifter.