Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Short Shift install

Old 02-14-2004 | 05:03 PM

There comes a point in most people's lives when you become "that guy", and tonigt was that nite for me. I wanted to install my SR Short Shifter, and looked over the Speedstate instructions. They say about 1.5 hours for install, and I think OK, that means I can do it in at least 45 minutes (exactly that long til it got dark). Yeah, sure I can... :roll:

I got it together, and cut the plate no problem and got on the road for a test drive in 45 minutes and everything was fine, until I got back and tried to get in reverse... no way. It wouldn't do it. Come to find out that the part of the SS that didn't have the knob attached was loose. The opening on one of the holes was a few millimeters too large. So I stuck the stock part below back in, in the dark, swearing a lot.

It works great now. Does anyone know why there's a need to replace the part without the knob attached? Especially because it works fine now...

And the moral of the story, don't be "that guy". Just follow the freakin' directions.

Old 02-14-2004 | 11:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

SR... Arrggghhh...

Now the nice thing guys? That's how low the RSide Advanced sits...

BTW, Phorq, get in on some of these GB's focker.
Old 02-15-2004 | 10:17 AM

heh heh, sorry mang. but I got it used off the forums here for dirt cheap, I couldn't pass it up!
Old 02-15-2004 | 01:41 PM

The piece without the knob needs a bushing in it. The hole is way too big and the shifter moves around too much because of it. If you went to a hardware store and got a bushing that was the right size you should be fine. That's the reason I had to take my SR shifter out after I installed it. I don't know why SR didn't just make the hole the right size... I don't know if it messes anything up by using the ss knob piece and the stock other piece. I didn't want to mess around with it though. I'd rather just get in on the Rside Advanced groupbuy, but I don't have the money right now.
Old 02-15-2004 | 08:29 PM

ah ha. thanks for the heads-up. I'll check that out.