Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Sharkeys Sick:(

Old 01-03-2008, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

^^^
Fully agreed. You need to fix one KNOWN problem, then move onto the others. If your cat was running RED in color from the heat, you have some problems for sure. Easy to check, fix the other problems, reset your ECU, and then get under the car and remove your cat to look at it. You can remove just ONE side of the cat bolts, take off the exhaust hangers, and it'll hang low enough for inspection with a flashlight.

QUOTE (pile_of_rd1 @ Jan 2 2008, 05:36 AM)
Well you said your cat is glowing red? Does it smell like rotten eggs? Ide check that, if thats screwed your going to get a bad o2 reading.

PS: Redz doesnt know how to work on a car, or what hes talking about half the time for that matter.

I know exactly what I'm talking about, my last comment in here was to username JAE, not to the OP.

Go enter your location information into your profile, you will be warned on every post until you do so.

QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Jan 2 2008, 06:03 AM)
There was 2 from this site actually.. I take it you're talking about my problem. The idle was sticking, it would go too high, then too low then too high, then too low. We also had an australian member with the same problem. They RARELY go bad though.

Well, I knew about yours too, but didn't you just clean it really good? A dirty ISC is different from a BAD ISC.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:52 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Mine was getting dirty from nitrous backfires. Cleaning usually worked, but apparenty the last one got all the way into the contacts and increased the ohm reading between the terminals. I replaced mine, then took my old one apart, identified and corrected the fault, but I'd need a press to put it back together. It's like 8 gauge metal of some kind that needs to be pressure fitted back together.

I need a window switch.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:24 AM

well guys i give up, i don't have time i just tok it to the garage il let yous know what goes on but thanks for the help.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Kefico TPS - $50, install time, 5-10 min DIY....... Average garage labor rate, $60/hr + Kefico TPS
Old 01-10-2008, 06:55 AM

Vehicle: uhm..... N/A

Well I guess its a closed topic. Out of curiousity. Do you know if the service recall had ever been done on the car for the exhaust manifold? Secondly a Glowing cat usually means it is blocked up and bad it will need to be replaced. Third the thing attached to the back of the intake manifold IAC is probably the culprut although the TPS could be the reason that is happening. Anyways im sure you will be over charged and taking things to a mechanic and not having a clue whats wrong is asking to be screwed. Im more than willing to tell you that you will be charged for both IAC and TPS to be replaced. I used to work in an auto garage 95% of people who take their cars there dont have a clue whats wrong with it and will belive anything that they are told is wrong leading them to spend 2x as much as they should have paid. The other 5% are the ones who know whats wrong and just dont have the time or paitence to do the work. Keep this in mind always tell the garage you want the old parts.

Also I would find it really odd to hear that the Head gasket popped considering the motors are closed deck and all.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 AM

haha, the garage isnt gonna screw me i odnt think, its a friend of mine thats doing it so im not to worried aobut it i just dont have the time, and i have no lcue if the exhaust manifold has been replaced under warrenty yet or not. i could find out i guess.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:34 PM

k well sorry bout the long wait but here we go, got the car all done up, got all new parking brake cables new brake cables, 2 new tie rod ends new boots an oil pan, new plugs and plug wires new coilpack new 02 sensor, and youre not gonna beleive it but the reason the car was frigging up was because of the sensor thats in the air box...took him forever to figure it out. The bill wasnt to much though concidering i bought all the parts just was a nice labour charge cause its to cold out for me to do any of this crap. but its running good again so thanks guys for all youre help im just glad i got sharkey back to the way it used to be
Old 01-30-2008, 09:51 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Congratulations! you had a bad intake air temp sensor, or a bad MAF sensor?

Why did he replace tie-rod ends?!? Kinda left field.... Or was that a separate problem?

This has been one of my favorite threads since it was started. The title always makes me smile.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:51 AM

lol yes the tie rod ends were bad which was a totally diffrent problem thought i would jut throw it in there, so was all that other crap but nah...it wasnt the MAF it was the little one that goes right into the box (or side of the CAI pipe) i dont have it on cause its winter in canada.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 AM

Vehicle: uhm..... N/A

You got the shaft when it came to problems. Im sure the mechanic could have tested the sensors and went down the line of things that could cause a car idle rough, and stall out. Or idle really low, and pulseate. Oh well atleast you know you dont have to replace any of those other major things for another 50 to 100k miles.