Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Sharkeys Sick:(

Old 12-24-2007, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I told you TPS, you went and spent $180 on o2 sensors, which, even if the CEL says so, RARELY ever fail.

Go replace your TPS.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:29 PM

sorry guys ive been busy with christmas and all i havnt had time to work on the car and such, but i took the o2 sensor back, got my $$ back so not a big deal, i didnt waste my money lol, so im oging to try running the car without the tps see if its better, if not im gonna go through the list that was posted of what to check, and just an added note car wont start again and my brand new plugs are like charded black again.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:13 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

don't even bother trying to test it, DAE SUNG=BAD. Car doesn't turn over at all? or it doesn't fire off?
Old 12-25-2007, 07:26 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

I have the same problem for couple of weeks now.. I don't know if it's normal...

My rpm 'bounces' at idle as you described..

I have a LPG system installed in my car, but even when I switch to petrol, it bounces even more :s
Old 12-25-2007, 10:18 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Considering your NEW plugs are charred black with carbon already (how much time was on them?), you are running severely rich.

I would check and make sure the return line for your fuel pressure regulator is not clogged and make sure the vacuum line going to the intake manifold from the regulator is in good condition. Unbolt the return line and make sure fuel comes out of the regulator when you remove it. You could try starting it with the return line disconnected but there is a chance of a fire so it is not recommended.

You are getting WAY too much fuel (probably why it isn't starting, lol).

Before you do all that, make sure you get a keifco TPS!!! Auto zone, advance, or pep boys. Might have to order it but get one regardless! It is only a matter of time until that dae-sung fails if it hasn't already and is causing all this trouble!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:17 AM

Bouncing idle mostly caused by Idle Speed Control (ISC). You might want to check it.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:47 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

^^^
Ehh, not with our cars. It's almost ALWAYS the TPS, as it is a TSB item with Hyundai. I've only ever seen one bad ISC.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:36 AM

Well you said your cat is glowing red? Does it smell like rotten eggs? Ide check that, if thats screwed your going to get a bad o2 reading.

PS: I don't know how to work on a car, or what I'm talking about half the time for that matter.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:03 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Jan 2 2008, 02:47 AM)
^^^
Ehh, not with our cars. It's almost ALWAYS the TPS, as it is a TSB item with Hyundai. I've only ever seen one bad ISC.

There was 2 from this site actually.. I take it you're talking about my problem. The idle was sticking, it would go too high, then too low then too high, then too low. We also had an australian member with the same problem. They RARELY go bad though.

If you have a Dae Sung TPS, change it. It should correct the problem.

Most likely, Catalytic converter glowing red = fuel burning in exhaust.

Also.... congratulations, you've just had a systematic failure.

Plugs black = bad plugs they are covered in carbon and will not spark correctly. Most likely you will have a engine stutter until you change your plugs

If your spark is bad, then the o2 sensor gets covered in carbon from unburned fuel in the exhaust. Leading to CEL.

If the cause of the problem was in fact the o2 sensor, then you can get away with just changing the plugs and o2 sensor.

if the cause of the problem was the TPS, you'll need a new TPS, Plugs and of course your o2 sensor.

If the cause of the problem was bad spark plug wires, then you'll need new plug wires, spark plugs and of course your o2 sensor.

And if your catalytic converter was bad, and you were shooting white smoke, then you can pretty much guess you're going to need a new catalytic converter.

Recently I had a problem from my spark plug wires.. I ended up troubleshooting in left field for weeks on end. It made absoloutly no sence why I was having all of the problems I was having. It turned out that I needed a new o2 sensor, plugs and wires.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:25 AM

I hate to agree, but I am pretty sure your Cat is toast now. The fact that it was glowing red means that it was busy burning off as much of the extra fuel it could that was coming through the exhaust, more than likely you seriously overheated it and melted the honeycomb inside, making for a nice clogged exhaust.

But first you have to figure out why your car is running so rich. TPS could do it, if the computer is being told that the engine is WOT when it is not, the injectors will be pumping their guts out while the thottle plate is near closed, leading to a VERY rich condition.

I am in agreeance with REDZ here.. change that first. Change your plugs (again) and look at your O2 sensors (both of them) to make sure they are not clogged with carbon.

Then you get to replace your cat(s)