Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Sharkeys Sick:(

Old 12-20-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put in some iradium plugs, she started up first try pulled out my old ones, they were black as cud be, couldnt see nothing but black on the bottom. il have to buy some of that stuff ur talking bout tommorow its to late now but il do that right away in the morning, she starts and will run but same problem...i borrowed a code reader from a friend hoping the car will spit out a cel soon ( had to disconnect my battery) , and my alternator and battery are BRAND new, same with the starter n they are reading correct volts so..but the exhaust at the back sounds like its spitting...

i checked the tps it is a dae sung...lol i keep finding stuff that scares me...looked down at my exhaust manifold..looked a little lower..i think its my cat its a big roundish thing lol it is glowing red on the little holes...

checked for a CEL got...

P0131 Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 1, bank 1 •?? low voltage Exhaust leak, wiring short to ground, HO2S, ECM Oxygen sensor (O2S) 1, bank 1 •?? low voltage Exhaust leak,wiring short to ground, O2S, ECM
Old 12-20-2007, 07:05 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i see you're an excellent house keeper! good thing you changed those plugs.

bank 1 sensor 1 is your precat (before cat) sensor. you should get that replaced. dtn gave me a website i ordered from. $87 from hyundaipartsonline.com. they should always be OEM, although i changed my dad's sensor to a bosch and it's been good and you can save $20-$30 but i'd still recommend OEM.

usually when there is an exhaust leak, you can hear the muffle from the crack. that's probably all the problem is.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:30 PM

so...change my pre cat sensor. and you say theres an exhaust leak too? is that xausing my CEL or is both the sensor and the leak causing it.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

haha i've learned it long ago, but we're here to help put you in the right direction and not to make you spend more money so don't take my word but if i were in your position i'd buy a new before cat oxygen sensor.

also, since this is a tuning forum, do you have a custom exhaust setup? if not it should be a direct swap out. i don't actually think there's an exhaust leak though but both my sensors don't work and i'm not getting any other codes so it's tough to say whether it's just a bad sensor or something else.

if you had a scantool and laptop you could get some readings off your sensor. i'd replace the sensor, see how that works out for you. then reset the computer either using the scantool or pressing your brake pedal for 20 seconds with the - terminal unclipped.

you should get a second opinion before taking out your wallet though.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Sounds like a good spot to start at least. Get that TPS out of there also please.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:13 PM

where do i go to buy a Kiefco tps...my local parts dealer?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ya, or the dealership
Old 12-21-2007, 01:38 PM

so...i changed the 02 sensor cars still f'd up stupid bensons charged me f'ing 180$, wasnt to happy im taking it back, so i took the car for a little drive thoguht what the hell...id almost have to slam down the gas for it to go ayway, it would either not want to go anywhere or would wanna just drop right down and die on me, so im starting to think it is my tps after all, any1 got some more input for me?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:47 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

You could run the car with the TPS and o2 sensors completely disconnected and it would run better than it does now, your idle will be high and you may run slightly rich, but if those sensors were in fact the culprit, your car should run better with them disconnected. *edit* oh yeah, it doesn't start now. Better than it DID then I guess.

I would pull your plugs and read them, the ceramic should be light tan/white, the electrode should still be in perfect condition since there is only 1k on them.

Check your oil and see if it is milky (coolant mixing with oil due to a blown head gasket). That would cause the excessive white smoke (although it is more likely the smoke is from the cold temperature).

Check your cam and crankshaft position sensors for sure, do a resistance check (ohms) across each sensor's 2 terminals (you need a digital or analog multimeter for this).

Also, pull each one of your spark plug wires off the plug one at a time, hold it near a ground like the engine block lift hooks and make sure each one sparks when you crank the engine.

Also check the resistance between the coil packs (remove the 3 wire connector and check at the terminals on the coil side).

Also, haha yes also, you could check the resistance of all your injectors, do this with the car off of course (I think the spec is anywhere between 13-16 ohms).

One of the above sensors or parts is your problem more than likely, or it is a fuel pump relay/fuel pump, but that is a rare problem.

BTW: be sure to check your maf sensor out, pull it out of the intake tract (remove the hose clamps) and make sure the slim metal peice that is directly in the intake tract isn't split (this would result in the sensor reading 100% all the time and a rich mixture, causing all the soot).

The fact that your plugs were BLACK - even the ceramic insulator?, means this was a problem before as well, what kind of mileage were you getting and how do you drive i.e. fast, slow, average? Auto or 5 speed?
Old 12-23-2007, 01:57 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

TPS is bad.