Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Sharkeys Sick:(

Old 12-19-2007, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so heres the problem...went start my tibby up to warm it up ( for those that don't know its an RD1) i live in canada so its really cold. I let it run for a bit and noticed it really shakey...so not a big deal just the cold weather its my first winter with the tib. So then next day went to start it, was shakey again but way worse and my rpms started going up and down up and down

after all that i went to the back of the car don't know why, looked at my exhaust it was blowing a hell of alot of white smoke...went back into the car decided to step on the gas a bit see what happened my rpms seem to rev up really jumpy, then when i let off the gas went down to about 200 rpm and almsot died then picked back up to aorund 1k and continued to bounce around. so then i got my dad to come have a look he knows jsut as much about cars as i do. so i got him to step on the gas. when he stepped on the gas the smoke was black, and there was almost like black flakes coming out you can see them all over the snow (carbon im guessing?)...so after looking at all that pop the hood look and see all my sensors are connected right. everything apears to be ok. it's really cold out so went back inside for the night. Came back outside the next morning went to start up the car...nothing. starters good, alternators good, plugs and plug wires JUST got changed about 1k ago,battery is also good, reading correct voltage. the car cranks. it cranks but nothing. doesnt want to start. it will stutter a bit jump around a few hundred rpms then die. the car just wont start. i have no idea why i cleaned my tps maf or map i forget which our cars have, the ist or whatever goes into the air box. i don't know how to test them...so i have no clue how to tell if ones out, and i don't want to start replacing parts i don't have to and wasting money anybody got some suggestions sorry about the long post!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Sounds like either...

1. Your MAF is on backwards.

2. Your TPS is shite.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:02 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

you can allways check cam and crank sensors those will definatly cause a car to not start. but redz is probably right
Old 12-20-2007, 04:30 AM

i had the same problem last week. i started the car and it was shaking bad, rpm's all over the place,no power. i just put some gas line antifreeze, waited 15 minutes and problem was gone.
driving around low on gas with the cold winter weather ( i live in new brunswick) ,moisture will form in the tank and that may be your problem.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:52 AM

Yeah.. Do you have a CEL? ^^ You Live in Moncton? Crazy.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:22 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

I just went through a TPS problem. the car would barely idle and when i would get on the road I had to feather the throttle, it really sucked. surge problems from first to 4th(dweet's old car not my autotragic) and wouldn't get better until 75 mph in 5th.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:10 PM

maf isnt on backwards...im not sure how to check my tps im gonna look it up on webtech after my nap, and there is no CEL.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Do this.

1. Look at your TPS, and tell us if it's Dae Sung or Kiefco.

2. Go get some fuel injector cleaner/water remover, and add it to your fuel system immediately.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

could be your alternator going out, maybe you need new spark plugs. ngk iridium are the best, maybe new plug wires or coilpack. although besides the alternator going bad, all those things would give you a cel. i'll bet you need a new battery.

if you have a CAI, make sure it's not hitting the battery terminal.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:30 PM

just put in the gas line antifreeze like i said .its only like $2.00 for a bottle from any convenience store. im betting thats your problem.