Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

A serious consideration...

Old 10-27-2002 | 07:17 PM

Default A serious consideration...

Alright, I drive a '01 Accent, powered by a 1.6l DOHC engine, and its rather unimpressive power is sent to the wheels via a 4 speed automatic transmission. As you can see I have a problem. When I bought my car I was short on cash, and didn't know how to drive a manual. But things have changed. Now what I would like to do is purhcase the 2.OL Beta II engine and the 5-speed manual that it corresponds with and drop them both into my car, making it a pleasant surprise for most of road users. The only problem is I can't justify making these alterations when I could buy the Elantra that already has this package under it's hood. Perhaps someone could shed some light on the subject so I can see if making my Accent a sleeper is worth it. I've already invested a lot of time and money into my Accent, I will have had it for two years this November. Besides, 140 horse in an Accent translates to alot more fun than 140 horse in a bigger/heavier Elantra.
RANDOM, I'm in Canada. I like everything I own to be new, so that means no second hand parts. What kind of ballpark figure should I be looking at saving in order to get this done?

[ October 28, 2002, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: AccentGS'ice' ]
Old 10-27-2002 | 07:35 PM

would you consider a trade for an Elantra....I think it will be cost efficent.. and you will further increase your warranty, more power and a more room....This is just a thought.......
Old 10-28-2002 | 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I'm assuming your reference to "new" means you want a 100% new engine and a 100% new transmission.

If that is the case, it is cost prohibitive. A new engine from Hyundai will run you about $2000, and a new 5-speed tranny nearly as much. (These are US $$$ figures).

Considering you can get a used/rebuilt motor for as cheap as $400/$500 with ECU, and a tranny used for about the same price, it doesn't make sense to consider new parts.

The "swap" itself will probably run you $800 to $2000 US dollars just for the labor and wiring changes/splices that need to be made.
Old 10-28-2002 | 06:18 AM

and making sure it can bolt up to the axels and tranny....
Old 10-28-2002 | 08:51 AM

I was under the impression that the Beta engines were direct bolt-ins for the Accent, have I been misled? I don't imagine that the amount of physical space the Beta consumes over the Alpha is that much.
So should I go to the few local wrecking yards we have around here and see if I can find a Beta and 5 speed that are in perfect condition other than the fact that they aren't new? I do know of what lot that is associated with one of the towing companies, they have a 2002 Elantra, but I don't know if its manual or not. Guess it would hurt to find out. I know its definitely a lot more cost effective... But I think I'd still save up for 'new'... So I'm a few sparks short of a plug, what can you do?
Old 10-28-2002 | 09:03 AM

you can do what I'm doing and enjoy your car until a complete swap kit is made...or I can afford to buy a better and faster car...
Old 10-28-2002 | 12:21 PM

first thing, devildog, a complete swap kit will never be made. accentgs, random is right (not like i'm going to argue). when i priced out parts for my swap, a new tranny was around $2000 from the dealer, and i don't know about an engine. if you're after new parts, www.magauto.com is a great site. they say they give you wholesale prices, which i don't believe, but they're about 15%-25% less than what you'd pay at a dealership, depending on the part, and that's a lot. i probably saved about a grand going through them. i got a tranny for around $550 from a junk yard. www.car-part.com gives you a junkyard listing for the US. don't go to carparts.com, as that's a completely different site.
Old 10-28-2002 | 12:27 PM

after the swap... you still only have 140hp....

Sorry man...
Old 10-28-2002 | 12:59 PM

Vehicle: 2K Accent

Check out KORE, they are working on a swap kit.
Old 10-28-2002 | 07:31 PM

140 horse with 5 gears is a lot more fun than 108 horses with 4. I guess a used tranny wouldn't really matter since I was hoping I could replace the tranny compenents with superior aftermarket parts. Assuming there are parts available for the Hyundai transmission. Also, I think that when modifying the Beta engine, as compared to modifying my current engine, the Beta has more 'potential power'. Besides, I'm not looking to race this thing professionally. I just want to smoke some Civics.

[ October 29, 2002, 02:32 AM: Message edited by: AccentGS'ice' ]