Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Sending The Tib To Level10

Old 06-22-2005 | 10:46 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Anything under 11.5 seconds or so would benefit from an upgraded auto tranny than an upgraded manual... becomes stupid fast to shift, especially in aggressively geared cars.

But, we're talking street legal Tib here... not NOPI internationals.
Old 06-22-2005 | 11:31 AM

Exactly what I way saying. But I still think it's pointless to dump money into a 140hp 4 banger's auto tranny.
Old 06-23-2005 | 04:16 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

hey there tough guy

just wanted to let you know a deal on the level 10 kit

see this link
Old 06-23-2005 | 05:47 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Regarding the the links that REDZ posted on HA...
They said that the tib's AT can't handle 180hp? Didn't speed-factor post a video of him running 14psi on a stock auto on stock internals, not even a trans cooler? and that was his daily driver for awhile, no problems?

as far as sending your tib to level 10, my opinion still stands:
QUOTE (zoned019 @ Jun 20 2005, 12:24 AM)
Will it really improve your 0-60 time?

Being that hyundai trannies are so cheap I think $1000 is a lot of money to spend putting your tranny on life-support, especially since the numbers you are going to be putting out on your N/A setup won't require that kind of special treatment. A regular (taken care of) auto tranny would do just fine, maybe the most you'd want to do is buy a cooler for it so the fluid doesn't get so hot if you plan to race a lot.

my auto is very smooth if i am accelerating at a constant pace, and not randomly mashing the gas or letting off when i was wot. although the 1-2 shift does seem very long/rough at wot.
I wish I could do a manual swap, I just don't think I could hack it by myself and don't know anyone who'd be able to help.
Old 06-23-2005 | 06:48 PM

Agreed totally... if your auto is rough shifting, then its probably old and worn and isn't worth modifying. Modifying an old/messed up tranny is like modifying an old/messed up engine... not the best idea.

17PSI is a general term. Anyone could run 17PSI, if they overrichen it or if they run a smaller turbo (T25, etc.). Besides, being a daily driver he wasn't flooring it everywhere he went and making the 235whp marks he was posting. Any engine part can take a lot of stress over a short period of time, its making it durable that counts.
Old 06-25-2005 | 11:22 AM

My auto has gotten maintenance, and is still shifting like new.

I got my 60K mile tune up, and someone put the WRONG tranny fluid in my car!

They did a flush on the fluid and cleaned off the tranny and put the "good stuff" in that Hyundai recommends and my shifting vastly improved! nana.gif

Car is running a lot better. But anyway offtopic.gif I am in contact with a seller on HA.com who is trying to sell his Level Ten products that he used on his RD2 Tib auto.

What does he have to say about it? That it's absolutely superb. The auto tranny is now alive with it!

It is not an odd route to take at all, seeing that if you are trying to get any sort of performance, it is a MUST.

"The car almost completely loses the “lag” that you feel between shifts. 1st gear starts stronger, and downshifts are much stronger." is something else Chris mentions.

In addition, Chris wrote, "An autocross mechanic once told me that automatic transmissions are the way to go. He said that they will handle more hp (if built correctly) and that they can be shifted both up and down with the brake and gas faster than anybody can shift a manual (also if built correctly). The only real downside was the price of getting a transmission capable of doing so."
Old 06-25-2005 | 01:21 PM

Yeah, $50,000 for a fully built automatic transmission is kind of a downside... lmao.gif
Old 06-25-2005 | 02:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

an auto is not the way to g if you want to autox, i just got back from one and half the time it was doing useless shifts AR15firing.gif auto, it got up to 250 degrees and had to miss my last few runs punch.gif , for autox you just stay in one gear the whole time, 2nd, so basically one shift, i am trying to find a manual trans right now, getting my moms permission is a whole other thing though
Old 06-25-2005 | 03:01 PM

I just got an e-mail from Jim @ ProTorque (performance torque converters) and he found the perfect torque converter for our imports

Reply-To : <Joe@ProTorque.com>
Sent : Saturday, June 25, 2005 12:27 PM
To :
Subject : ProTorque

2000 Hyundai Tiburon Automatic

The torque converter that I recommend for this application is our PTC – CTTIB6SS. This torque converter is the perfect mix of performance and streetability and is recommended for a street/strip application. The stall speed on this torque converter is approx. 300-800 above stock. Our price on this torque converter is $425.00 +shipping. The reason we recommend this piece is because of it's good driveability, and durability.

Unfortunately we do these on an exchange basis. The turnaround time for this torque converter is usually 1-2 days from the day we receive your core.

In performance applications we also recommend a cooler due to the fact that performance torque converters tend to create more heat. We carry a full line of coolers. Please feel free to call or e-mail me if you have any further questions. We have these things in stock and are prepared to ship on your advise. Once again thanks

Joe Rivera

I dont know how the price ProTorque offered is compared to Level10's.. I might go check that out.
Old 06-25-2005 | 04:57 PM

Well, TQ are not bad, but they will kill your tranny sooner than you'd want it to die.

I see that you are very dedicated to this man, so go for it. Plus $425 is not bad.