Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Sending The Tib To Level10

Old 06-19-2005 | 07:30 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

He's not boosting though..

Even if he was, Speed-Factor did 17psi on a regular auto tranny as his daily driver and no problems?
Old 06-19-2005 | 07:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

oh ok, i thought he was boosting for some reason. sorry.

it will definately still help for the drag racing and auto-x though. it is a lot of money for a little gain however.
Old 06-19-2005 | 08:18 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Is there actually an HP/time gain?
Or is it purely the reliability and "smoothness" factor?
Old 06-19-2005 | 09:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

People don't send their auto trannies to level10 because the automatic trannies are horrible and aren't worth the time of day. Look at it this way:

- Your spending a grand or two to get it on par with a manual
- Your car will weigh more because of the auto tranny (and the add-ons)
- Your car will lose more horsepower through the automatic tranny
- Your Tib will never see drag times where an automatic tranny will be useful

Supra owners, 300ZX owners, Corvette owners, etc. send their trannies to Level10 to get an already good platform even stronger. Their cars are seeing times when driving a street manual gearbox becomes difficult to drive (below 12 secs).

Personally, if you go that route, it doesn't make much sense to me, but have fun...
Old 06-20-2005 | 12:08 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (2kShark @ Jun 19 2005, 03:57 PM)
By the way, a $1500-2000 manual swap isn't cheaper.tongue.gif

You should search around, most folks have done this swap for well under 1 grand.

Hell, several for under 700 dollars.

Check your info.

Auto's suck.

swordfight.gif
Old 06-20-2005 | 12:46 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

see the problem with autos are the fact that hyundai transmissions in general suck

so your spending money on a grenade

manuals are bad

autos are worse

we saw more autos grenading than almost anything when i was at hyundai
Old 06-20-2005 | 01:14 PM

Lol merely saying autos suck is kind of a dogmatic opinion, and it will kind of hold you back in discussions like these.

I don't understand where the talk on manual transmission comes into play. Level10 makes good upgrades for the AT. Performance automatic transmissions become in par (dare I say, even better) than a MTX because it is so consistent.

PTS™ by Level 10 is a performance transmission system. I don't understand how the route I'm taking is so strange, seeing that the auto tranny is 'cheap' as you all suggest, means it is deficient, which is exactly what the Hydrosystem targets: the deficiencies in an automatic tranny.

I don't think Level 10 would provide a PTS kit for our Hyundai imports if they didn't have benefits from them. It's quite amazing, because this is truly a difference you can FEEL.

How could you not want the most out of your car? I may not even be making a stop at LevelTen for a long while, but it has caught my eye. Maybe after I've done some heavy tuning on my car, that is when I'll consider sending the car over to LevelTen.
Old 06-20-2005 | 02:12 PM

I have an auto tranny too. I, however, plan to eventually swap to a manual. The most important thing is what YOU want though, and I think everyone is overlooking that here. If you want to keep your auto transmission for the life of your car, I think this would be a great way to make sure the life of your transmission is the same time period as the life of your car. I'm pretty sure you're completely right about how you would be the first RD member to go to level10 and have this done too, so it's a bit presumptuous of everyone to automatically say this won't do anything for you. If you want to do this, it sounds like it would be an intelligent way to go for an individual that wants to have an auto trans. Level10 is in business for a reason, and people hear of it for a reason, they know what they're doing and they're good at it. I say go for it, good luck, and let us know how it goes for you.
Old 06-20-2005 | 02:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (2kShark @ Jun 20 2005, 07:14 PM)
I don't think Level 10 would provide a PTS kit for our Hyundai imports if they didn't have benefits from them. It's quite amazing, because this is truly a difference you can FEEL.

And you've driven a beefed up ATX from them with this kit? You know you can feel the difference? Really I don't like how any upgraded auto tranny feels, and I've driven a few... the shifts become harsh and sharp. Which is the only reason people buy ATXs on cars is for the smoothness of shifts consistently (at least until it starts to break, which for the Hyundai auto is quite soon...).

We're just trying to give the best advice to you that makes sense, which is to swap to a manual that is the lesser of two evils. They both have faults, but the auto has many more.
Old 06-20-2005 | 02:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well autos arent that smooth, mine jerks me foward every shift, manuals in other cars are much smoother