Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Second thoughts

Old 12-06-2001, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second thoughts

I'm starting to get cold feet about headers (because of the cat work involved), new exhaust (cat work again), turbo, etc... I'm afraid the car is going to become illegal for emissions. How do stock turbocharged cars, ie the Subaru WRX, get around things like that? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but is a turbocharger on a Tib going to make it really bad emissions-wise, to the point of illegality (did I make that word up?) or not? Any reassurance would be helpful, especially anyone from NY state, in the NYC metro area (I'm in Rockland Co, and subject to NYC metro emissions laws). People from CA would be under even stricter regulations, I'm guessing, so... make me a believer, I guess I'm saying.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Okay...by law, it is illegal to move or replace a functional cat. So just installing headers makes you illegal.

However, inspectors/tester in your state may be stupid, or kind (or both), and simply not care as long as you have "A" cat on there.

The next thing they are going to care about is that you pass the sniffer test (if your state has such a thing). There are MANY ways to ensure that your car will pass, but the easiest is to have a properly running engine, and a fully functional exhaust system WITH A CAT!

Most states don't care what you have underneath, as long as it looks like a cat...and as long as you blow clean in the emissions sniffer test.

Your state may be different, but I HIGHLY suggest you contact your local state officals and ASK! Make yourself an expert on the subject.

California is the only state where parts must be approved by CARB, so for us, just about everything is illegal. However, in NY, you may be able to get away with just passing the visual test and the sniffer test, regardless of equipment.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK... sounds like a plan. Does anyone in NY actually have their Tib turbo'ed? I'm looking for a good shop to work with me on the necessary changes. Anyone have recommendations? Southwest corner of NY or North Jersey is preferable.