Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Sea foam

Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent
Default Sea foam

I own an 2004 accent 1.6L. I have quite a bit of carbon build up in the intake and most likely the valve and pistons. How would I go about using Seafoam through the vaccum hose into the intake? I hear it works better then pouring it into the gas tank. From what I understand it is straight forward, Start car, removing the vaccum line, put it into the seafoam bottle, and have a friend or someone keep the rpms above 1500 or so. Would that be right? I don't have to mix? Would the brake booster hose be okay to use? Lastly what is the worst that would happen if the car were to stall? Would I just have to remove the spark plugs and let the cylinders vent out for a little, then put them back in and restart?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 11:50 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX Turbo

Mine work pretty well from brake booster hose didnt even have to rev it while the hose sucking from the sea foam bottle never stall. I use about 1/3 of it and rev the car around 2000rpm til the smoke is gone.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I run it through the IAC valve personally. I prefer it to flow with the incoming air and clean those surfaces. The brake booster hose will work though.

I had trouble with the vacuum from the intake pulling so much seafoam through that unless I was careful to limit how much it was pulling it would bog the engine down badly. I used a funnel into the brake booster hose and poured it in slowly. That method worked better for me. Now I use a funnel with a hose, and route it through the IAC inlet in the TB opening.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:19 PM

Which would clean the throttle body better? So don't use the whole can for 1 use? So if the car does stall it will restart after alittle?

Thanks for all your help
Old 04-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Administrator

I don't use it to clean the TB specifically, just to follow the typical airflow more closely. If my TB was dirty I would clean it with a can of aerosol Seafoam.

It gets sketchy if you put in too much Seafoam you could potentially hydrolock your engine. It's tough to tell someone else how to do it. When I do it I use a whole can. Most people use less. When I do it I let the engine die as I pour in the last of the Seafoam, then let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then re-start the engine and drive it like I stole it until it quits smoking. But that's just the way I do it. If you weren't careful and poured too much in you could have problems.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 PM

So it best to pour in a little to a thin funnel wait till its gone. Then a little more and so on and so on? So if you use a whole can then I guess you can hydrolock your engine if too much gets in at once? As for the spray can of seafoam for the throttle, I guess it would be the same. Take off the intake box and hose right to the throttle, start the car, pull the throttle cable and spray the seafoam in to the sides?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Yeah, that's about how I clean the TB.

I have a video of me Seafoaming a Spectra5, but Youtube pulled it thanks to WMG.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:58 PM

I was talking to a buddy of mine at work and he said never use any of the carbon cleaners as the contain acid that eats away at gaskets and end up causing more problems. I know other cleaners sometimes show that but was never 100%proven. This true with seafoam.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Ask him what he does to get rid of water in his engine's cylinders.