Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Rust in the intercooler piping??!!!

Old 09-13-2001 | 03:52 AM

Default Rust in the intercooler piping??!!!

Mother of all that is holy! eek.gif I recieved my Alpine kit today and was checking the parts to the parts list and as I was going through the intercooler piping I noticed all the steel piping is rusted on the insides. The outside looks fanstastic but the inside - SWEET MOTHER OF ALL!!!! eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif Was this the case on anyone elses and should I be concerned?! If this is a problem any suggestions on fixing it?!
Old 09-13-2001 | 05:27 AM

Crimeny! That really would suck, man. Not to doubt you, but are you SURE that it's rusted on the inside, and not just unfinished metal? Can you reach a finger in and touch the potentially-rusted surface, and rub any of it off?
Old 09-13-2001 | 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Run a small rag through it. If it comes out rusty...you've got problems dude.

My pipes were painted inside and out to prevent rust. I suggest you have yours done as well. Maybe ceramic coated instead?
Old 09-13-2001 | 11:53 AM

I checked kit today as well. There doesn't appear to be rust. However it is not painted. The untreated metal is exposed. Will this be a problem when all the pipes are connected? By the way, how much does it cost to ceramic coat all the pipes and who does it. What about powder coating them? I have a friend that can do it real cheap. Later HondaEater
Old 09-13-2001 | 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Ceramic Coating prices vary widely. I found a great place in Northern California that is dirt cheap, and has great service.
http://myweb.ncal.verio.com/~sc7500/

Just remember if you use the "e-mail" link they have, remove the "NOSPAM" from the e-mail address.
Old 09-13-2001 | 12:54 PM

I rubbed my fingers on it and it came off sure enough. It's unpainted on the inside and black paint on the outside. The rust is redish orange and comes off easily when touched, and there is tons of it man! I don't mean in small patches - This stuff coates the inside! Random, did yours come painted inside the pipes or did you do it yourself? When you got your Spearco intercooler did it come with piping? JIMMINY CHRISTMAS MAN, ALL THE STEEL PIPING HAS TONS OF RUST!!!!! eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif What should I do!? Is it woth returning the piping for them to fix the problem or get it painted myself or, or, or........AAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!! eek.gif eek.gif I need an asprine.
Old 09-13-2001 | 01:28 PM

LMAO dude time to send and email and pics and get some money back and have them ship you new piping. Then buy a diferent intercooler and reap the profits of there mistake, remember baby steps. It shouldn't be hard to find a place to clean it out. Thats just my opinion. But take it easy just get some money back remeber send them picks.
Old 09-13-2001 | 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

You should be able to paint the interior yourself. That should be easy enough.

The problem is removing the internal rust so that the paint will stay/stick.

I know they have many paints/products on the market that convert rust, but i've heard of some of them flaking.

I do suggest you contact alpine and see if they will ship you new piping or pay to have your piping cleaned/coated.

I'm also thinking I need to double check all of mine, I know the section between the intercooler and the TB is painted inside, but I'm not sure about the section between the intercooler and the turbo.
Old 09-28-2001 | 10:10 AM

Alpine finally got back to me and there solution for the rusted pipes is this:
"We must apologise for the pipes that have the residual rust. This is embarassing to say the least. To remedy the situation could we ask you to pull an oil soaked rag through each of the pipes. This process will clean up the rust residue and preserve the pipes for the future."
Is this going to be effective enough or should they be repainted?!
Old 09-28-2001 | 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

An "oily rag" does not a rust proof coating make.