Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

running part alkyhol

Old 11-30-2002, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running part alkyhol

A buddy of mine is running part alkyhol in his honda, and he was asking me if hyundai's can run part alkyhol (like 20% or less). He said you can get extra power out it. Anybody can confirm of deny these questions?
Old 11-30-2002, 06:15 AM

alcohol

and some gass stations have 10% methanol gas... its just like another additive

i didnt notice any differance
Old 12-02-2002, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

In turbo applications, adding METHANOL (a form of alcohol) can cool down the air charge, and also add extra fuel for the combustion event.

in N/A applications, there should be no need to add methanol. You can't use normal rubbing alochol...it's more than 50% water.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:58 AM
PB

It says explicitly in the owners manual to avoid gasoline with methanol additives. I was told it can cause a CEL, as it can trip the evap sensor. But, I have had methanol gas put in my car a couple of times with no CEL. Has anybody had the CEL from this?
Old 12-02-2002, 06:47 AM

random, if the boiling point of the alcohol in rubbing alchol is higher than that of the water in the mix, could one boil the water out and dump the remainder (alcohol) in the gas tank?
Old 12-02-2002, 07:51 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

Turbulence, yep it can bedone but your only asking for troubles..... remember in the old days
Exploded illegal distilleries,exploded crack houses......
if you're boiling a flamable liquid be prepared to run quite fast.....

Denis
Old 12-02-2002, 09:18 PM

turbulence:
random, if the boiling point of the alcohol in rubbing alchol is higher than that of the water in the mix, could one boil the water out and dump the remainder (alcohol) in the gas tank?
Unfortunately the boiling point of alcohols is generally MUCH lower than water... This is how whiskeys and moonshine is made, they boil the alcohol off the top and recondense it elsewhere.

Speaking of whiskeys and moonshines, there's your source for good ethanol... PGA.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:24 PM

Random:
In turbo applications, adding METHANOL (a form of alcohol) can cool down the air charge, and also add extra fuel for the combustion event.

in N/A applications, there should be no need to add methanol. You can't use normal rubbing alochol...it's more than 50% water.
Rubbing alcohol generally is 30% water unless you get the really cheap stuff, but rubbing alcohol is isopropanol... propyl alcohol, instead of ethyl or methyl alcohols (ethanol and methanol). Different chemistries, not nearly so much gain.

If you look hard though, you can find "denatured alcohol", which is nearly pure ethanol with enough methanol mixed in to make it poisonous so it can be sold outside the liquor tax arena.

Methanol is corrosive to aluminum, zinc, and certain kinds of rubber... this is why it's never recommended. Flex fuel cars can run on M85, a methanol blend, but they have special nitrile hoses, special fuel pumps, and very expensive stainless steel fuel injectors.

If you want to help your turbo, find a fogger nozzle, drill it into the intake, and hook it to the washer pump outlet. Then run a hose from the intake to the top of the reservoir to equalize the pressure, and devise a switch for the washer pump motor. Then, fill the reservoir with your favorite oxygenated alkene or aromatic hydrocarbon... rubbing alcohol will work for this, as will denatured alcohol, toluene, xylene, MEK, anything that will evaporate and has a higher octane rating than gasoline. Toluene is 113, for example...
Old 12-03-2002, 12:08 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

I use 10% Ethanol blended gas all the time and have never had a problem with it.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:34 PM

stickshift:
I use 10% Ethanol blended gas all the time and have never had a problem with it.
Yup, ethanol is not corrosive (at least I hope not, your beer has upwards of 3% in it)... methanol will eat up a stock fuel system.