Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Rside Short Shifter

Old 06-28-2005 | 08:56 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: Two 97 RD Tibs and 2010 Genesis Coupe

Hey guys!
Just wondering if anyone had problems with their Rside SS from Kspec..
I have the adjustable one with the Knob!!
Basically the two problems i noticed are first of all when the Shifter is in Neutral teh Shifter actually is tilted slightly forward towards teh Console.It doesnt sit rit in the Middle like OEM or like the Shark Racing SS i had installed...
ALso while im driving im always having a problem going into 3rd gear ..You have to be SO PERCISE for it to go into gear.......
Tried adjusting the cables and nothing..
If the car is off and i go into all th egears they are smooth but when im driving 3rd gear is a PITA to go into...
Also the car does NOT grind into 3rd gear or any gear.............
Finally i noticed when im in 3rd gear the Shifter is very loose when you move it side to side...
Looks like a Bushing issue...
The funny thing is IT never use to be loose before installing the RSIDE shifter
If anyone has these problems any help would be appreciated
Thanks!
Old 06-29-2005 | 07:02 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

hmmm. as far as the shifter being further up, thats just the design. the OEM one has a curve to it that puts it in the middle. there is no such thing as a shark racing s/s... it's a RSide basic. but i can't address that one, cuz i'm not familiar with it.

as far as being a pain in the ass to get into 3rd, i've never heard that, nor did i experience it.

when it comes to the shifter moving a lot while in 3rd... is the spring thing attached properly? cuz really thats the only thing to trouble shoot when it comes to that problem. the return spring makes it move/not move
Old 06-29-2005 | 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i also dont have the problem with third gear.

the shifter does sit a little further forward and to the left, but you can adjust it so that it is almost in the center. try disconnecting the cables by unscrewing that peice that holds them together. then put it back on so it completely pulls the cable. you will get pretty close.

I've even thought about cutting some of the bolt attached to the cable off to get it to sit more towards me.
Old 06-29-2005 | 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Sparticus @ Jun 29 2005, 01:02 PM)
hmmm. as far as the shifter being further up, thats just the design. the OEM one has a curve to it that puts it in the middle. there is no such thing as a shark racing s/s... it's a RSide basic. but i can't address that one, cuz i'm not familiar with it.

as far as being a pain in the ass to get into 3rd, i've never heard that, nor did i experience it.

when it comes to the shifter moving a lot while in 3rd... is the spring thing attached properly? cuz really thats the only thing to trouble shoot when it comes to that problem. the return spring makes it move/not move

What spring thing you talking about?
The Shark racing SS i had was by them i beleieve and purchased it like 5 years ago.It was nice and Short but at times had problems going into 1st or reverse but had NO PLAY AT ALL when it was in gear.
I purchased the RSIDE figuring it would be better from peoples feedback and im having problems going into 3rd gear and then has ALOT OF play side to side which is weird..
The cables were also adjusted to the max and still nothing?
Is there any kind of Bushings which can be causing this?
hmmm

REDZ would probablly be the man to answer this one smile.gif
Old 06-29-2005 | 08:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

What can I answer for you?

Check your install, make sure everything is tight. Every shortshifter I've had or felt on the RD still has some play. It's annoying, but I may have a fix for it shortly.
Old 06-29-2005 | 08:43 PM

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Jun 30 2005, 02:13 AM)
What can I answer for you?

Check your install, make sure everything is tight. Every shortshifter I've had or felt on the RD still has some play. It's annoying, but I may have a fix for it shortly.

REDZ!
Please let me know if you have a fix..
The thing is i have alot of play when i can get into 3rd gear.If you just touch teh shifter it flaps side to side so Loose and eay which is weird..
Is there any sort of Bushings that can cause this?
Also when i had the Shrak racing one is was so TIGHT with very Little play at all..I changed over to the RSIDE because i at times i had a hard time going into 1st gear and then decided to go with teh RSIDE..
Just wondering do you have the RSIDE installed in your Tibby?
Old 06-29-2005 | 08:52 PM

Don't quote the post above yours. Use the ADD REPLY BUTTON at the bottom of the page.

Oh, my fix won't use a RD shifter....

You'll see.

Did you miss any bushings on the install? Like the little white hat shaped ones?
Old 06-30-2005 | 03:47 PM

Redz!
How many Bushings are there in Total?
Im sure my guy install them but canb it be that there worn out and prevents it from going into gear?
Old 06-30-2005 | 05:18 PM

Don't know how many man. Might wanna check my DIY.

There are 2 of the white hat bushings that go into the shifter block, the shifter bolt goes thru them.

Your guy installed them? Doode, hope he didn't mess up.
Old 06-30-2005 | 06:13 PM

I'm trying to find a fix for the sloppiness/play on the shifter as well. We're gonna try to fit an Accent base plate, because it's metal versus ours which is plastic. Go figure why they put a stiffer base plate in the Accent than in our cars...