Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Replace The Oil Pump?

Old 10-21-2005 | 05:08 PM

Ok so I have done some searching around on here and have realized that the ticking coming from my car may quite possibly be caused by a faulty or dieing oil pump. I'm no mechanic, but I am very mechanically inclined/not scared to try. I was wondering if someone could give me an idea on changing the oil pump or testing the oil pressure. My Tib has about 114K on it now and is getting old I don't want any major breakdowns for a long time yet! Lucky for me I just bought a '97 Isuzu Rodeo to drive around so my tib can sit for awhile.
Old 10-21-2005 | 05:44 PM

I haven't heard of many people here having to change their pumps, however I HAD TO CHANGE MINE.
After I got a pronounced ticking noise I knew it was the HLA's ticking, what I didn't know is it was not their (the HLA's) fault, I bought a new set, changed them, and realized the ticking was still there as if I had not changed anything.
I changed the oil pump (super fast shipping courtesy of the super admin of kspec, aka David wink1.gif ) and the ticking went totally away.
I don't know if this is usueful but I'll describe how it was on my case: If I drove at slow pace (below 2500rpm) all day, all days, I could go for a week without the ticking, however, it was enough that I revved my engine ONCE at 4000rpm or more, and then the ticking came loud and stayed for hours/days until several days passed weithout going further than 2500rpm.

I think if it's the HLA's, they usually shut up after a hard drive/revv period, because they get charged (unless they are trully screwed), if it's the oil pump, no matter how hard you revv the engine, they don't get charged, period. Try to test that and watch what's the result.

Good Luck
Old 10-21-2005 | 06:03 PM

it could also be that you need to flush out your engine (using engine flush)

Each one is a possibility...