Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Remove second cat

Old 05-31-2002 | 01:04 AM

Vehicle: 02 Elantra
Default Remove second cat

I have a 02 Elantra 2.0l. What I want to do is remove the second cat from the system without cutting up the original pipe. I am not going to order a new one because they are $470 DEALER COST. I want to be able to bolt in the original for emmisions testing. I live in CT so we test for california emmision specs. I did this with my 99 Elantra and was quite happy with the results. Any ideas to build a front pipe with flanges, flexpipe, and o2 hole would be helpful. If someone does come up with a plan it might also fit on the 2003 2.0l tib. I don't have any on our lot to compare to.

I may have come up with a solution. The 2001 2.0l tib has a front pipe with flanges, and a 02 hole, I believe there is no cat built into it, the second cat should be behind the front pipe section. My thought is to see if one fits and then have a shop make a pipe with flanges on it to fit the area between the tib front pipe and rear exhaust section. If someone has the 01 tib and can measure the lenght of the front pipe and verify what I believe it to look like that would be great.
Old 06-01-2002 | 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Have your local exhaust shop cut the cat out.

Have them weld flanges on to the 4 ends of cut pipe.

Then have them re-install it to make sure it fits.

Now have them make up a "test pipe" to replace the second cat of the same length, with the same flanges.

It shouldn't cost you more than $150 bucks.
Old 06-01-2002 | 02:09 PM

Jay,

I live in MD, and i am curious about our emissions standards because i am going for headers. This involves removing the under-the-hood Cat. Where did you find out whether or not your car would pass emissions??

thanks man
Old 06-02-2002 | 10:22 PM

Vehicle: 02 Elantra

Random thanks for the idea. Sometimes it takes someone who is not as close to a project to look at it a different way. Next $500 will go towards KORE catback and "test pipe".

As to the emmisions testing. I don't know for sure if it will pass or fail. I just don't want to get into a situation where it won't pass california emmisions