Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Remote Start?

Old 10-05-2001 | 03:41 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Accent
Default Remote Start?

I figured this would be more of an engine question, but with the security system that I am purchasing it has remote start with it, and I told the guy who will be installing it that I wasn't sure if I really wanted the remote start which he said was no problem, but I guess what my question is, can remote starting cause engine damage, or could it not work with something like if I were to start adding engine mods like super/turbo/nos/CAI/exhaust etc....

and could it even damage the stock components somehow? The guy installing is ASE and MECP certified so he knows what he's doing, I think but can remote starting cause any problems, or am I good to go?
Old 10-05-2001 | 06:35 PM

I've heard that in the past cars with remote start have had tendencies to start on their own...don't know if there's any truth to this.
Anyways I had a question...I went to get an estimate for an alarm with remote start and they asked if there was a tranponder in our keys. Do we?

I can see how it'd be a good thing for anti theft but he said he'd need to get the chip from one of my keys and charge me $80 more.
Old 10-05-2001 | 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

This could go in either forum, but I'll leave it here.

Properly installed and used, remote start causes no problems.

If you live in a cold area, it is a godsend on them cold mornings.

No, our keys do not have chips or transponders in them.
Old 10-06-2001 | 01:32 AM

I've had one on my minivan for about a year now and I've had no problems. Mine (as I'm sure they all do) has built in safegaurds to prevent starting and theft.
Old 10-06-2001 | 04:49 AM

Some fear-mongers love to throw panic into people about starters. Some claim that they may start on their own or even worse, start a fire (ever hear that one...I did a couple times). However, if you get a good brand and have it installed professionally (the latter being the most important), there are no problems and its under warranty. The only beef is that starters with standerds are sometimes more work than they're worth. The starters cost almost twice as much and are a real pain to install. I have a standerd and discovered this...and I live in a town with biiter cold winters...sigh.
Old 10-06-2001 | 08:32 AM

I have remote start on my 2000 5-speed and I love it! You have to turn on the remote start while the engine is still running and then take the key out and shut the doors. Once outside you then push the button and the car shuts itself off. Best part, the lights flash a few times making your car look like it has an alarm! tongue.gif
The only problem is installation on our Tibs, we have the funky ignition system that makes it hard to install the remote start properly. If done incorrectly the remote start cannot always tell if the engine is running on its own and will continue to try turning the engine over for a few seconds. sad.gif
Old 10-06-2001 | 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Canadian Prairie Shark:
I have remote start on my 2000 5-speed and I love it! You have to turn on the remote start while the engine is still running and then take the key out and shut the doors. Once outside you then push the button and the car shuts itself off. Best part, the lights flash a few times making your car look like it has an alarm! tongue.gif
The only problem is installation on our Tibs, we have the funky ignition system that makes it hard to install the remote start properly. If done incorrectly the remote start cannot always tell if the engine is running on its own and will continue to try turning the engine over for a few seconds.

i think ALL 5-speed has a sensor or little button at the end of the clutch where you have to PUSH(in our case) the button to get the car started. Some one said they by passed that sensor and installed the alarm/remote starter.
hiz car is phat. it cost him $500 it's got the pager function as well.
Old 10-06-2001 | 03:10 PM

I have a remote start in my 99 and it's a standard. And I am MECP master certified (I'm just letting you that so you guys just so you don't think my answers are bull)
These are true - Remote starters can start on their own. The things that trigger them are if you have a timmer set that every 3 hours the car will remote start to keep the battery charged (this feature is rarely used unless you are going out of town for awhile) or if you want to keep your car from a complete cold start in the morning. And the one that can cause a problem is when the battery dies and you put a new one in or if you disconnect the battery and reconnect it it will start on it's own thats why all alarms with remote start come with a warning sticker to put underneath your hood so the knucleheads that are working on your car don't get killed or hurt and if they do then your protected because you gave them a warning. The Tib's don't have a botton on the top of the clutch all their is one wire which you tap into from a relay with simulates the clutch being pressed down. Are car actually have a very easy ignition system if you have a remote start and it has to crank alot either the starter input is not programmed properly or their is no tach input wire hooked up. If your getting an alarm with remote start there is no reason not to have it hooked up. Oh and as far as damage to your computer etc... an amplifier will cause more harm that an alarm/remote start will just because a amp cause voltage drops and an alarm draws next to nothing and pretty much simulates everything you car does from factory with the exception on making noise. As far as upgrades go your alarm will adjust to the different Rpm's caused by upgrades and work fine and you won't even realize it did thats why the Tach input wire is the most important wire for a remote start and the good ones have a fail safe so if their is a problem with your car and it won't start in 3 tries it will stop thrying to start thus saving your car from damage.
Old 10-06-2001 | 03:16 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Accent

Cool sounds like a good deal then

But what happens then if I do need to disconnect my battery for some reason? Would I need to do anything to bring it back to normal?