Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

redline synthetic engine oil

Old 02-06-2002, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redline synthetic engine oil

if anyone has or is using " redline snthetic oil, " let me know how well it works.

it is suppose to better than any synthetic on the market. you can leave it in use for a year.. so redline claims, and redline oil thats been in use for 15 000 km is still better than Mobile 1 brand new. so they claim. I might try it but need more feed back.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

#1. I wouldn't run any oil more than 5000 miles tops. I don't car if it is God's own blood. It gets changed.

#2. As long as you change your oil regularly (every 3000 or so), you can just just about anything you want.

#3. Buy the best oil you can afford. $15 a quart oil will put you in the poor house doing oil changes every 3000 miles. So maybe $1.50 a quart stuff would be better? Maybe $0.50 a quart is all you can afford. Just change it regularly.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:26 AM

I used to only run Red Line. 15w50. It is expensive $7+ a quart.

I would say that it is the best out there. Mobile 1 is ok. It really depends on how hard you run your car. Mobile 1 is ok for my supercharged car because I drive it like a grandma (It's yellow, had to fight a racing ticket, etc...) now my little gray car, I keep the rev's higher then on my SC car, so I really need Red Line. I have found Mobile 1 more likely to get clattering valves then Red Line.

If I had the money all that I would use would be Red Line.

The 15000 km is supossedly true. I agree with Random though, that is too long with the same oil in there. I let some one borrow my gray car and during that my car probably drove around 6-7k miles before replacing oil. It was doing ok, then the oil was changed, over filled, etc.. Right now it isn't sounding too good. I don't know if it was the miles before, or the guy doing the oil change but I would not test Red Lines 15000 km idea.
Old 02-07-2002, 01:57 PM

The synthetic oils are fine over 5000 miles, it depends on the filtration. The Redline oils have gotten some what of bad name in the drag racing field, a friend of mine that runs a econo dragster had had some engine problems and others, using redline oils. They did a dyno test of his 298ci small block switching from sythetic oil to a natural it made no horsepower increase. I just use mobil 1, it been around since WW2 when it was used in fighter aircraft in artic tempretures, same way for there grease, it was used in the wheel bearings on the carrier aircraft. For a street car, you won't see any benefit in using $7.00 a quart oil.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:56 AM

You should not switch between synth or natural oils alot, just stick to one and change it every 4-5000miles, 5-6000km. All oils will get contamination after 3000 miles and will degrade soon after. Synth oils actually can be bad since they are thinner and leak out easier, but thats dependant on the engine's condition. Redline oil is great for endurance racing but notice they change oil before/after and during races so so much for keeping oil in there longer. Synth oils don't go acidic or break down thats why their claim of lasting longer is true but oil still gets dirty so your better off keeping natural oil for 3000 miles and changing it at .50c a quart.
Old 02-10-2002, 05:30 AM

this settles an on going debate i was having with a few people. but i didn't want to dismiss any of there ideas or claims without being open minded and find out more about redline oil.

that's what i thought about " red line " or any other engine oil as well. it should be changed regularly and in shorter intervals than 15,000 km or miles. i prefer to change my oil every month or month and a half at the most. because i live in canada and the engine oil gets saturated with moisture very quick in winter. especially in short drive. also oil filters are cheap for me and i get oil for free.

thanks for the great replies.....
Old 02-10-2002, 05:51 AM

Originally posted by little champ:
i prefer to change my oil every month or month and a half at the most. because i live in canada and the engine oil gets saturated with moisture very quick in winter. especially in short drive. also oil filters are cheap for me and i get oil for free.

I hate to break it to you, but as of January 1, 2002 your oil is no longer free. sad.gif
Old 02-10-2002, 11:16 AM

Sorry Hyundave : but we had a meet with with the big cheesey and it is still free. Or so rubber dildo will be informed...
Old 02-10-2002, 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6 PI

Here's the "devil's advocate" approach.

Oil from the ground will contain certain impurities, no matter what.

I like K&N Oil filters because they have the best filtration IMHO.

I firmly believe that synthetic oil, when used to 100% replace natural oil after a car is broken in works the natural oil out of the seals and works itself in, possibly causing premature failure of these seals. The rear-main seal on my former ride being a possible victim of this problem.

I'm not saying that I'm right, these are just my beliefs.
Old 02-15-2002, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by little champ:
Sorry Hyundave : but we had a meet with with the big cheesey and it is still free. Or so rubber dildo will be informed...

Little Champ is Correct, I asked Tom at the Meeting 2 weeks ago and its still free for shop employees only (mechanics)