Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

RANDOM.....California Emissions Question

Old 06-03-2002, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RANDOM.....California Emissions Question

hey guys,

Maybe Random or someone else can help me. I posted a topic about putting headers on a Tib in Maryland a few days ago. I didnt realy get a straight answer about whether or not my car would pass emissions testing. i think i can figure out my problem if you can tell me if California emissions are stricter than Maryland's, because i know people in Cali have put headers on their Tib's and havent had problems. That really is the only thing stopping me from buying those beautiful 4-1 SR headers...

thanks a lot
Old 06-03-2002, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

All headers require the relocation of the cat. As such, they will fail ANY visual inspection.

Most folks find a "tuner friendly" smog/testing station.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

California maintains the strictest of emissions laws when it comes to the actaul testing. Visual inspections are a whole different ballpark.

I would think that as long as any header you purchase holds a C.A.R.B. number, you should be alright.

The ultimate question is ... Does SR, Kore, etc. intend to submit any of their parts to C.A.R.B. for testing and certification?
Old 06-03-2002, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

No one's headers are CARB certified. None of the existing designs will EVER be.

The headers require relocation (or removal) of the first vertical cat. As such, installing them violates the federal emissions law that states
"it is illegal to MOVE or REMOVE a functioning catalytic converter."

So no CARB cert, no visual inspection pass.

If someone were to make "shorty" headers that ended at the first cat, they MIGHT pass CARB and federal standards, but only the 1998 and older cars have a bolt flange there, all the others are welded on. So don't get your hopes up there.