Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Ran Bad, Ran Great, Stooped Altogether...

Old 02-20-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) 97 Tiburon 5spd, no start, NO CEL!?

2) Monday morning cold out, car starts, runs poorly (like it's on 2 or 3 cyl.) until I get 2 miles down the road and it "fixes" itself at a stop sign, starts and runs perfectly two more times that day.

3) Tuesday morning cold again, car starts, runs poorly until a mile or two and "fixes itself again. Starts and runs perfectly two more times even at 8:00 that evening.

4) Wednesday morning pretty cold again car turns over the same speed as always but will not "catch" or start. There's just a very little hint of it starting to catch but never does nor is it coming close to starting .

I'm suspecting a bad fuel pump but I have no manual to find the correct fuel pressure. Do I check it (on the rail) while it's turning over or just with the key on?

Does this sound like the culprit? Can I get a correct fuel pressure number, I searched but couldn't find it.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:02 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

i think stock fuel pressure is between 38-43psi...but i know the exact number...one of the turbo guys will get in here and give the exact number
Old 02-20-2008, 10:42 AM

Thanks!

And can that be checked on the schrader valve like on my 94 Bronco? I saw on Autozone's site that there seemed to be more to it than that.

Man, I wish I had a manual. I can't find any at the car-parts stores.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I put up the DIY for checking your fuel pump, check it out.

Also, put some fuel additives in to make sure you don't have any ice in your fuel lines.

You do have a manual. Everyone does. Check out the DIY section, it's got the login info for hmaservice.com
Old 02-20-2008, 12:46 PM

ah and make sure you check your ckp sensor! For some reason they like to go bad in our cars. Take it out clean it put it back in all that fun stuff.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:59 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Elantra GLT

QUOTE (97DerekTiburon @ Feb 20 2008, 12:42 PM)
Man, I wish I had a manual. I can't find any at the car-parts stores.

hmaservice.com. Sign up for a free membership and have access to all of hyundai's little secrets and repair procedures. No one else does this so use it while you can!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:50 PM

Thanks guys. Despite what caused me to have a "vacation" I love this site and it's very helpful members (and owner/operator!)

Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:05 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Elantra GLT

QUOTE (97DerekTiburon @ Feb 20 2008, 04:50 PM)
Thanks guys. Despite what caused me to have a "vacation" I love this site and it's very helpful members (and owner/operator!)

Thanks again.

I have a feeling some things are "unavoidable" here. Good luck and be sure to let us know what you find out!
Old 02-20-2008, 04:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

As an interesting side note Bob, in over 4 years, we have 12 people perm banned. 4 of them are duplicate accounts of others. So that's 8 members. Only ONE has been banned by receiving warnings, and he actually went to 23 warnings instead of 20. We give everyone every chance, but sometimes...

Derek, let me know if you have changed your fuel filter.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:01 AM

RED ZMAN, I jumped the fuel pump as per your DIY (very helpful). I heard it whir to life but while under the hood, I heard what sounded like (excuse the obscure reference) a pool float or inflatable toy with a leak AFTER you squirted it with soap to find a leak only when the FP was under power. I don't know if that makes any sense but it only happened while I was jumping the FP. The sound came from the injector area and was VERY faint.

I have not touched the fuel filter at all. However, I read your DIY on that so maybe that's my next move? Does that sound the next most likely?

Still no CEL.

By the way, after I jumped the fuel pump on and off (to hear it start/stop) I jumped in and turned the key. The motor fired on just a tiny amount of fuel like just a 1/4 seconds' worth where it showed NO inkling to start otherwise. Does that even more strongly point to the filter?