Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Quiet CAI

Old 08-22-2002 | 10:51 PM

Vehicle: 02 Elantra
Default Quiet CAI

This will work on 01-02 Elantra and 03 Tib. I decided to do this because I don't like how loud the CAI's on the market are. I don't want to attract cops attention (no tickets in 7 years). I also do not like how the current CAI's don't allow for movement of the engine.

Ok here is what you do. Get an air filter with a 3" inside diameter. Goto local Homedepot or similiar place and get a 3" thin sheet aluminum connector about 4" long. I forget what section I found it in. I think it was with the venting stuff. Get a couple of thin metal hangers for air ducts. It looks like exhaust hanger but much thinner and easier to work with. Find a local tubing supply house and get a foot of RFH hose 3" id it should stand upto 275deg. I have to verify the hose I'll post a link to the definate type later. Make sure you get a couple of hose clamps also.

First take the lid off the air box. Take your stock air filter and cut the seal off of the element with a razor blade. You will need this in there to seal the lid. Push the sleeve out where the air comes from the box to the t/b. Next look in the bottom of box and remove the baffle down in the corner where the air comes in. Take the elbow and the flexible pipe use about 4" length and shape the flex pipe and push it into the oval end of the elbow(the part that goes into the fender). Wrap electrical tape around the connection several times make sure the tape is warm it will shape better. Put the elbow in place pushing the tubing through the hole. Put the aluminum connector into the flex pipe slide your two clamps on push the filter on to the aluminum connector. Take the duct hanger strap and shape it like this l_l. You slide one side under the clamps and put the other onto the stud that was used for the original resonator. You will find it easier to mount if you angle the filter toward the front of the vehicle. you will have to come up with a good way to seal the airbox and the elbow better. I am thinking of using some thicker weatherstripping.

This project assumes you already took the resonator out of the fender.
If you use a catch can for the pcv lines you will also gain a little more. I don't think I missed anything. If anyone wants I will get more specific on everything. You can tell the car is not stock but it does not attract every cop in town.

The pics are here, goto the end of the album. The sound and the power are perfect with this setup.

[ August 23, 2002, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: Jmontigny ]
Old 08-22-2002 | 11:05 PM

From what I can see you took your CAI tubing and pushed it through your stock air box. Is that correct? Or did you just run tubing (flexible stuff) from your air box to the fenderwell?
Could you please let me know where you got that large of flexible non-metal tubing. You said a tubing supply store. I'm not sure of what I would look for. What do they use that stuff for and what is the average cost per foot?
I would greatly appreciate it if you could post the details of your PCV catch can. I would really like to stop sucking that stuff back through my throttle body.
Old 08-22-2002 | 11:10 PM

The flex tube just goes into the elbow off the airbox. If you look close you can see the electrical tape right at the point it goes into the fender. This is where the elbow and flex pipe meet. The 3" diameter pipe shapes to go through the hole in the body easy and then fits perfect into the end of the elbow off of the air box. Here is the flexpipe you need, it is the first one.
flexpipe

Here is the catch can. Road race engineering. You can use a regular plate screw for the plastic intake tube hole and might have to get creative for the manifold hole. I used hyundai part number 86825-33000. It is a retainer. The hose is 3/8 fuel line.

[ August 23, 2002, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Jmontigny ]
Old 08-22-2002 | 11:39 PM
arn

I think he used a drain pipe. it looks ghetto. and is there any proof that you gained that much horsepower?
Old 08-22-2002 | 11:46 PM

No it doesn't look Gheto it looks primarialy stock. No flashy bling bling. Now if it is effective is another issue and I can't really tell how it's put together from the pics or the explination so I'm still out on that one. My 99 elantra's intake is similiar to that 01 but different enough that I am still confused on how you have it put together.
Old 08-22-2002 | 11:56 PM

Your airbox on the 99 is totally different. I guess you could make a version of the Random CAI. You could run the tubing from the front of the air box into the fender. The hardest part would be figuring out how to seal the pipe to the air box. The flex pipe I used only has air flowing through the ribbed section for about 1". If you used that for the whole distance on the 99 model you will have a lot of turbulence from the ridges I would think. The pipe Random suggests has a smoother inner wall.

No flashy bling bling. I like that one. I am not into that F&F look either.

[ August 23, 2002, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Jmontigny ]
Old 08-23-2002 | 01:34 AM

I have a Random special but I am always intrested in other ways of doing things. I like the idea of an oem looking engine bay but with hidden secrets.
Old 08-23-2002 | 02:54 AM

I see what youv'e done but what I want to know is what keeps it quiet, is it because it still flows through the stock box and doesn't that creat turbulence or interupt air flow in itself?
Old 08-23-2002 | 03:54 AM

Yes the air box and the tube to the t/b help keep it quiet. I am sure there are disturbances in the air flow this way, however the power I get is noticable and I don't have to listen to all the noise.
Old 08-23-2002 | 04:40 AM

Jmontigny:
The flex tube just goes into the elbow off the airbox. If you look close you can see the electrical tape right at the point it goes into the fender. This is where the elbow and flex pipe meet. The 3" diameter pipe shapes to go through the hole in the body easy and then fits perfect into the end of the elbow off of the air box. Here is the flexpipe you need, it is the first one.
flexpipe

Here is the catch can. Road race engineering. You can use a regular plate screw for the plastic intake tube hole and might have to get creative for the manifold hole. I used hyundai part number 86825-33000. It is a retainer. The hose is 3/8 fuel line.
Maybe I'm just easily confused, but the website for the flex tubing says:

Specifications
Construction : Thermoplastic rubber (30-MIL) plus wearstrip with a wire helix
Color : Black
Lengths : Available in 25 ft., or 12 ft. 6 in. for a $5.00 cutting charge
Temp Range : -65 deg to 275 deg F. continuous service, intermittent service to 200 deg. F.

It's okey to run up to 275 all the time, but only up to 200 some of the time?