Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Quick CAI / Air Sensor Question

Old 07-14-2002, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick CAI / Air Sensor Question

Now, I've searched.. and found some pretty good results. Maybe I haven't searched for the *correct* terms, but that's my luck.

Anyway,

I wanted to do the home-made-CAI thing this weekend. (Since the weekend is basically.. over, I mean next)

I looked at the setup of my 2k1 Accent, and I can see why people dislike the airbox/resonators.

The only inline sensor I can see is not quite round. It's got an almost *oval* shape to it, and I'm curious what people did to the pipes to keep that in there? Maybe I can cut the hole out of the rubber grommet just before the throttle body, but I'm not sure.

With the increase in air (cone filter will be on the bottom of the pipe, towards the fender. Plenty of room in the 2k1 accent. I may throw a small family in there as well..) quantity as well as the *slight* decrease in temperature, will the CEL come on? Will the sensor say *wtf is all this crap?*

If I'm throwing a nice cone filter on there, will the extra air make cause for a new exhaust sytem as well? If I don't do the exhaust upgrade for a bit, will the CAI make things a bit harsher? I know if more air is going in, and the engine can only push it out so fast.. it's gotta go somewhere.. pressure, I'm assuming.

Just some thoughts,

Thanks - Tom
Old 07-14-2002, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

in general, exhaust mods are only needed after intake mods. You could do headers, high flow cat, and full exhuast first, but you would not see as big of a gain as after some intake mods.

The *oval* sensor that you're refering to I'm guessing is your MAF. You can use silocone connectors to connect your choice in pipe to the MAF.

Keep in mind, if you ARE MAF, then you also have an Intake Air Temp Sensor. You need to put that in the air stream of the new intake. If not, your engine will mis-read the volume of air going in.

As long as you don't leave out any sensors, you should be okay, and should NOT trigger a CEL.