Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Questions.

Old 10-16-2005 | 07:50 PM

Ok well with 111k my car needs a lot of work coming up

a small list includes:
-02 sensor (front one i do believe)
-Throttle position sesnor (?)
-tires (bald tires in snow country is never a good idea)
-struts (stock struts...need i say more?)
-brake pads/rotors (one brake pad change in 111k...yeah...about time)
-timing belt, and other belts. (120k is fast approaching.)

Now my question is. where exactly is the throttle position sensor. is this an easy repair or do i have to go aroudn my elbow to get to my ass? is it the sensor beside the throttle body? i don't have a haynes book. and advice would be appreciated. my car idles at 2k sometimes and when i ran the check engine light, besides the usual O2 sensor reading it said my throttle posistion sensor was causing it as well.

also what is the estimated cost i'm looking at.
Old 10-16-2005 | 07:56 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Your idle sensor is the plastic peice that sits right on the front of your TB. It's black.
Old 10-16-2005 | 08:19 PM

tp sensor is any easy fix, its just costly to get a new one. I think mine was like $50 from the dealer. Make sure you clean off the connection on the tb cause mine was dirty and made my car run like crap.
Old 10-16-2005 | 08:53 PM

Your car is not a piece.
Most of these are Maintenance items.
TPS is infront (on the side) of your TB
See here:

The black piece on the side of the TB, with the grey connector.

I've seen lots of those fail, as well as o2 Sensors.
More so TPS's cuz the OEM ones from the factory are POO.
O2s though, sometimes goes bad, but not too often on RDs

Rest of your list is wear and tear items
Old 10-16-2005 | 10:23 PM

you're right my car really isn't a piece... but i'm just tired of it and don't really want to spend the money to fix it...but know it's cheaper than getting a new car. i kinda thought that's what the tps was. i'll check it out tomarrow and look at my connections, make sure nothing is causing it to act like that

and the 02 sensor i f***ed up playing in the snow a couple of years ago, bottoming out in a drainage gate i didn't see.

EDIT: my 3rd break light on my spoiler is being held on my a strap because all the connections broke and the little glue strip isn't very sticky anymore...any suggestions on how to fix this shit? seriously all the little plastic parts that screw into the spoiler are snapped in half...i'm thinking maybe a hardcore bonder will work...but i dont' know about longevity...
Old 10-17-2005 | 09:02 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

If you have the old Dae Sung TPS, Hyundai will replace it for free (Go let them know it's in an old Tech Bulliten that they are supposed to be replaced) with the Kiefko TPS.
Old 10-17-2005 | 11:47 AM

good lookin out. i didn't realize the TPS was this common of a problem with the cars.
Old 10-18-2005 | 04:29 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

hey bud, in the GB area...it will cost you 150 for the front brakes to be done...that includes all labor, pads, and rotors.
Old 10-18-2005 | 05:04 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

pm sent regarding tp sensor
Old 10-18-2005 | 07:48 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

1. every single car has these problems. hyundais aren't meant to last over $120,000, you hit anything over that and you're lucky duck.

2. if you buy another car, you will run into the same problems. the tiburons are a steal for the money, you just have to maintain the car just like you do any other car. you might as well say a porsche is a piece, a bmw is a piece... dude, even space shuttles like the challenger are crap and those cost 12 million dollars.

3. you might not be the first owner and every car takes a beating, and by owning a car you have maintenance responsabilities. if you didn't change your oil every 3k your engine is going to pop.

4. good luck, you can ship those from korea for cheap.