Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Question for those with headers

Old 03-19-2011 | 07:12 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Veloster
Default Question for those with headers

Hey All, wondering if you could help me trouble shoot something.

I have a 2000 Tiburon that I just yesterday had Megan Headers installed on. Are there any sensors or wires that you had to move or re-route to avoid getting melted to nothing? The reason I ask is because after driving the car for about 20 minutes it just shut off and upon further inspection it looks like there are some melted wires and possibly a sensor.

It looks like possibly the oil sensor, but I am not too sure. Its right on the side of the block underneath the headers. Just wondering if others have had this issue.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2011 | 08:12 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Is it around front? Could be crank position sensor. Under and around even I don't there there is anything....any codes or sort of problems coming up?

Check the wiring for major brakes, if not tape up each wire individually then loom the entie bundle. Keep that inplace with tape at each end and zip tie ti up to another bundle. Could idea to do stuff like that around the engine bay, less silly melting type headaches.
Old 03-19-2011 | 08:29 AM

Yes its around front, right below where the headers bolt up.

Crank sensor is right beside oil pressure isn't it? Looks that way anyways. Unfortunately I'm at work right now and none of the techs have their universal scanners with them so I can't pull a code.

The car will turn over now just won't actually fire up, so could be crank sensor. I may have to order one just to be safe in case that is what it turns out to be.

Doesn't look like there are any major breaks in the wire, just a couple spots that look a little toasty/melted now. Hopefully some new wires and new sensor, tucked away nicely will fix things, cause I really liked the feel of the new exhaust for the 20 minutes it was running.
Old 03-19-2011 | 09:47 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX Turbo

Crank and oil sensor is the only two sensors behind the headers. I bought a knock off headers on ebay but never had any issues with it so far no need to reroute wirings or anything...
Old 03-19-2011 | 10:07 AM

Ya I thought those were the two. The megan headers wrap around to the right side and I think thats where I'm running into trouble. We're gonna try rewiring the sensors and see if that helps.

OK, new crank sensor was installed, she fired up and I made it home. Lets hope thats the end of it.
Old 06-26-2011 | 08:20 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburon

On my tiburon I only hooked one of the 2 sensors and left the other one hanging and I never had a problem !