Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Question here for Random or Red!

Old 05-11-2002, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question here for Random or Red!

Hi, Im wondering what kinna results people have had with the alpine turbo kit? I have heard bad things about theyre supercharge kit so im not even gonna ask about that. Has anybody dynoed a tib with the alpine kit? What hp at the wheels is the kit capable of? It doesnt look as if the kit comes with a waste gate or blow off valve, can you just buy one and add it to the system? Let me as much as possible, I plan to get one this summer, thanks.
Old 05-11-2002, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

My dyno at 9 PSI was 169.1 and 167.9 using the Uni-chip, head spacer, 5th injector. (after 3 tuning sessions with alpine)

2uniq managed 209 and ???? at 11 psi with no headspacer. 2uniq was NOT using the unichip, but 4 larger injectors and a s-afc that was NOT tuned.

Those are the only dyno's I know of.

I have not seen/heard of a new dyno from 2uniq with the S-AFC tuned.
Old 05-11-2002, 03:06 AM

So do you think it has more potential than what youve done with it then? Maybe some upgrades? Is it worth the money in your opinion to get one?
THANKS
Old 05-11-2002, 06:29 AM

hey random that doesn't sound like that much of a gain. was the kit worth the money
Old 05-11-2002, 06:49 AM

Well considering he was the test bed, he didn't have to pay the full price. But then again, I've heard Random spending plenty of money of fixing up what Alpine did (or in some cases, didn't do). Seems like the kit gets close to what it claims if a) You ditch the head spacer cool.gif use 4 large injectors instead of the 5th injector c)get some aftermarket pistons to handle more boost d) and either utilize a piggyback solution such as a S-AFC, or a standalone like Haltech. The only potential problem with new buyers that are HP crazy might be limited because of the size of turbo.
Old 05-11-2002, 11:57 PM

I have the alpine Kit installed and as Random has mentioned i did not run the Unichip Headspacer and 5th injector.Instead i ran 4 LARGER 440cc injectors and the S-AFC.Im currently running 11psi on stock compression and internals.
I dynoyed my car at 218.8 Wheel HP and 209 pounds of Torque at the wheels.
My S-AFC is not Tuned at all and if i was too pull away more fuel and get it properly Tunned and retard the timing,its possible to pull another 20-30HP,but im running stock compression and internals
I recieved my 5PSI wastegate and actuator from Alpine so i should be installing it once my car gets out of the body shop and i will bring the boost down all the way betwwen 5-7PSI.
Remember my Tibby is a 1.8L and a 2.0L will give better numbers and pull a bit harder.
I will eventually get stronger lower compression Pistons to handle 12SI on a daily basis because im gonna miss the power once its all fixed and Tuned.
Right now the car is VERY FAST and i wish i could keep the power but this is my daily driving car
Old 05-12-2002, 01:55 AM

Ha that is cool man, you make the kit sound worth the money. I almost decided, that for the money I would run a zex kit instead. What is your thought on that? Random only got like a 50 hp increase which is ****ty for a turbo, so if that would be the case **** ill spend a couple thousand less and be garunteed a 50hp boost and that isnt a constant waste of gas or always hard on the motor either.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

In addition to the cost of the kit, he ALSO BOUGHT

4 NEW injectors
S-AFC

if you want to do what 2-uniq did, consider these, plus dyno tuning, part of the price of the alpine kit.