Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Question about replacing Auto Tranny Fluid

Old 01-21-2004 | 10:02 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Page 5-7 of Owner's Manual
- Automatic Transaxle Fluid

The fluid level should be in the *HOT* range of the dipstick, after the engine and transaxle are at normal temperature. Check the automatic transaxle fluid level with the engine running in neutral, with the parking brake properly applied. Use HYUNDAI ATF SP-II M or GENUINE DIAMOND ATF SP-II M when adding or changing fluid.

Page 5-4 of Owner's Manual
Number 5 is Automatic Transaxle Fluid... it says to inspect every 7,500 miles and to replace every 105,000 miles. Correct?

Page 5-5 of Owner's Manual
Maintenance under severe usage conditions:
Replace Automatic Transaxle Fluid every 30,000 Miles (48,000 KM)
at the top of that page it says the following:
The following items must be serviced more frequently on cars normally used under severe driving conditions. Refer to the chart below for the appropriate maintenance intervals.

SEVERE DRIVING CONDITIONS are listed as:
A - Repeated short distance driving
B - Extensive Idling
C - Driving in dusty, rough roads
D - Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather
E - Driving in sandy areas
F - More than 50% driving in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 90F
G - Driving in mountainous areas
H - Towing a trailer

A... I pretty much use my car to go back and forth between Knoxville and Nashville (school vs. home) which is 170 miles each way.
B... Dont have extensive idling
C... No dusty or rough roads here (no dirt or gravel roads)
D... It snows about 2 or 3 times per year here... never very much... and I don't drive my car in the snow, so nah, no salt or corrosive materials
E... Nope, never driven it to a beach, so don't drive it on the beach
F... Don't drive in heavy city traffic and it's not warm enough to be above 90F 50% of the time
G... Don't drive in the mountains
H... Don't have a trailer hitch

-----------My Question Is-----------
So would this mean that I should NOT use the "Maintenance under severe usage conditions" (5-5) and that I should use the "Vehicle Maintenance Requirements" (Page 5-4) instead?
In the Maintenance Log it has a Red R @ every 30k miles (RED "R" signifies to replace under severe usage) and at 150k miles it has a Black "R" (which is required maintenance)

So what I'm thinking is, if you don't replace your ATF til 105,000 miles, it should be covered by warranty as long as ATF is inspected and replaced IF NECESSARY (up to 100k & 10years)... not that I would go 105k without replacing ATF, just got me curious...
Old 01-22-2004 | 06:16 AM

Personally... with as weak as the At is in the Hyundai.. I would go for the Severe recomendations. More maintance is better than low or none..