Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Queitest Performance muffler

Old 03-26-2005 | 11:20 AM

i have not cat just a glass pack and then the ractive muffler
do you think if i install a performance cat that will quiet things down or go with a whole new muffler?
and should i go with just the muffler where you have to put on a tip
or a universal muffler that is one piece?
Old 03-26-2005 | 12:01 PM

QUOTE (OdessitPashka)
do you think it robs a lot of power? Got a picture of what it looks line on inside?

It's not supposed to rob any power at all until you get to 190hp. Over that, and yes, it will be restrictive. I'm not sure I'll ever get close to that number if I stay NA.

Website. 410cfm. That's a huge difference vs the stock muffler. And it's legal in VA, where cops love to shine a flashlight into your muffler to see if it's straight through. The universal 14" model cost me $36 from Summit. Add $25 if you want a shiny tip.

AllEyesOnME, I recommend a highflow cat if you don't have any cats at all, so that you don't get a CEL, and also because:

According to the US Environmental Protection Agency, just 10% of the cars generate half the polution from mobile sources. The “gross emitters” are improperly tuned or lack catalytic converters.

If you still have the stock exhaust manifold w/ cat, and don't plan to upgrade to an aftermarket header, then there's no need. I did notice that my exhaust quieted slightly after putting in the cat, but it wasn't a huge difference, mostly a lot less of the "bee" sound. But at the time I was still running a straight through muffler.
Old 03-26-2005 | 01:49 PM

AllEyesOnME, I recommend a highflow cat if you don't have any cats at all, so that you don't get a CEL, and also because:

If you still have the stock exhaust manifold w/ cat, and don't plan to upgrade to an aftermarket header, then there's no need. I did notice that my exhaust quieted slightly after putting in the cat, but it wasn't a huge difference, mostly a lot less of the "bee" sound. But at the time I was still running a straight through muffler.[/QUOTE]

arkRed">i have obx 4-1 headers on a straight pipe runing to the exhaust with a glass pack closeer 2 tha header
so the muffler u mentioned up there would decrease my sound problem? i want something as close as stock sounding without a stock muffler? what do u guys suggest
Old 03-26-2005 | 03:25 PM

Fonseca, I see what you are saying and thanks for the pictures. It looks pretty decent, and I can see that it might take couple horses away, but give you some back pressure and return some torque, I would definitely recommend that muffler.

ALLeyes, get that muffler that we are talking about, they are cheap, will not take much power away, and will be quiet enough.
Old 03-26-2005 | 03:57 PM

thnxs for the input guys i will order that one
Old 03-26-2005 | 10:01 PM

I have a super turbo as well. only difference is that I have 4-2-1,high flow cat, glass pack and 2.5" pipe.

It is not obnoxious but also not quiet. I just gave my mother in law a ride and she asked if I needed a new muffler.

I like it, wish there was less bass.....
Old 03-26-2005 | 11:23 PM

There's definitely bass when flooring it, I can keep it pretty quiet by shifting before 2500 or so, but I know what you mean. I've looked at just about every brand name muffler out there now, and didn't find anything that's supposed to be quieter without sacrificing a lot of flow.

So I soundproofed my car. smile.gif
Old 03-27-2005 | 10:19 AM

Oh I forgot to tell you that I am currently automatic.....soon to be manual.

I think that has a lot to do with the sound. It sits in those long gears forever. Can't wait to be in control of my transmission.
Old 03-27-2005 | 10:41 AM

or you could be a baller like me and get a greddy exhaust from another car and throw it on the Tib.

Super quiet but still packs the performance
Old 03-27-2005 | 12:20 PM

The A'pexi World Sport is soppose to be just louder then stock and have the same HP gains as other performance mufflers, and sounds good IMO. Heres the URL for it : http://www.apexi-usa.com/exhausts_ws.asp